Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why do we use Irish Moss?  (Read 4977 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Why do we use Irish Moss?
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2020, 01:39:06 pm »
From BSG's manual. 

The stuff has limited thermal stability, and as it has no effect on hot wort but only on the chilled wort, you want to add it late.  Just long enough in the hot wort to hydrate, late enough for the majority to survive into the chilled wort.  If including a whirlpool stand, consider adding it there.

(Whirlfloc G is a semi refined product as described below.)

Damn, I learned something new today!  That is what I love about this forum!

Goose, years ago there was so much confusion about dosage and timing, I did the unthinkable...I actually contacted the company!  They told me that 1 tab was good for 12 gal. and that it should go in 5 min. from end of boil.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2020, 02:14:50 pm »
From BSG's manual. 

The stuff has limited thermal stability, and as it has no effect on hot wort but only on the chilled wort, you want to add it late.  Just long enough in the hot wort to hydrate, late enough for the majority to survive into the chilled wort.  If including a whirlpool stand, consider adding it there.

Goose, years ago there was so much confusion about dosage and timing, I did the unthinkable...I actually contacted the company!  They told me that 1 tab was good for 12 gal. and that it should go in 5 min. from end of boil.
Since regular, plain, old fashioned Irish moss flakes need to be rehydrated overnight and added at 15 minutes, I expect that's where 15 minutes got stuck in our heads.  Good to have corroboration from the horse's mouth on the 5 minute timing on tablets! :)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2020, 02:25:20 pm »
From BSG's manual. 

Since regular, plain, old fashioned Irish moss flakes need to be rehydrated overnight and added at 15 minutes, I expect that's where 15 minutes got stuck in our heads.  Good to have corroboration from the horse's mouth on the 5 minute timing on tablets! :)

I always started rehydrating at the beginning of the brew session.  I could never really tell id rehydrating did any good, so I figured that was close enough!  And yeah on the 15 min.  I suspect that the recommendation for that came from IM.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2020, 02:52:36 pm »
From BSG's manual. 

I always started rehydrating at the beginning of the brew session.  I could never really tell id rehydrating did any good, so I figured that was close enough!  And yeah on the 15 min.  I suspect that the recommendation for that came from IM.
I just put the IM in one of my hop baskets in the Picobrew dry. Seems to work fine. My wort and beer are clear.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2020, 01:24:09 pm »
Not panicking. I do appreciate all the replies and those taking the time to reply. It's just one of those things. If really not needed then why are we doing? IMO, very similar to dental x-rays. Yes, I know, this is a homebrew forum and I'm not trying to go off topic, but just giving a similar example. X-rays never leave our body. What does this mean? We don't know. How many dental x-rays, and other x-rays, have we had in our life time? Too many to remember. Are these harmful? Don't know. Is the continual use of Irish moss harmful? Don't know.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2020, 02:10:17 pm »
Not panicking. I do appreciate all the replies and those taking the time to reply. It's just one of those things. If really not needed then why are we doing? IMO, very similar to dental x-rays. Yes, I know, this is a homebrew forum and I'm not trying to go off topic, but just giving a similar example. X-rays never leave our body. What does this mean? We don't know. How many dental x-rays, and other x-rays, have we had in our life time? Too many to remember. Are these harmful? Don't know. Is the continual use of Irish moss harmful? Don't know.
Is the continual use of alcohol harmful?

narvin

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2020, 03:15:52 pm »
We actually do know that repeated x-ray exposure at enough dosage is harmful and can cause cancer.  There is no real research about carageenan.  Do whatever you want, I won't judge, but I will say (loudly) that this stuff is bunk science, as is most internet based clickbait.

Offline Robert

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2020, 03:19:19 pm »
We actually do know that repeated x-ray exposure at enough dosage is harmful and can cause cancer.  There is no real research about carageenan.  Do whatever you want, I won't judge, but I will say (loudly) that this stuff is bunk science, as is most internet based clickbait.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Black Lion Homebrewery

• Cellarman
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2020, 10:38:55 am »

Well that's just false...x-rays pass through soft tissues, they're blocked by bone and other dense tissues.   Healthline is a media company and has no obligation to verify information before published.  Medical and scientific information should be verified from reliable sites. 

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2020, 08:47:20 am »
if i couldnt use whirfloc tabs, i would enjoy homebrewing a LOT less. there has been one or two times ever when i didn't use it and both times it was incredibly obvious that i didn't in a negative way. ugg