Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using "Twist-off" beer bottles  (Read 20332 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Using "Twist-off" beer bottles
« on: December 23, 2010, 10:44:06 am »
Again, I tried searching first because I am sure others have asked this but can you use twist-off bottles for bottling homebrew?  I don't care if they twist off or not but I have lots of them and very few non-twist bottles.  I'm slowly building them up but I can only drink so much beer a day although I'm giving it a hell of a good try. 
If you can do it is there a special cap? 
Thanks

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Using "Twist-off" beer bottles
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 10:49:07 am »
I always go the safe route and tell people not to do it, but if it's what you have, gopher it. Be careful, on the US bottles the necks can be kinda thin and may have potential to break under force.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 10:54:10 am »
I've used them. They're OK but sometimes the caps don't seat well. I'd give it a little torque to tighten with the capper. I phased out all my twisties within the first six months.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 11:30:31 am »
I always go the safe route and tell people not to do it, but if it's what you have, gopher it. Be careful, on the US bottles the necks can be kinda thin and may have potential to break under force.
+1   They will work, but are thin and can break. I'd use them only if absolutely necessary. Start collecting other bottles (not hard to do - often restaurants/bars will save them for you) and get rid of the twisties asap
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 12:38:49 pm »
I've heard they work if you have a floor capper.  The 2 handle clam shell type capper I have will shatter the necks every time.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 12:42:33 pm »
I used to use leftover Shipyard bottles, which have the threads on them.  some would seal, some wouldn't.  Figured it wasn't worth the bother so I recycled them.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 06:56:05 pm »
If it was me, I wouldn't bother. Put too much work, and money, in to the beer to risk it.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline brontotex

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 10:06:00 am »
I just ran across one yesterday that got mixed in with my last batch. It was noticeably less carbonated than the others.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 11:51:43 am »
I usually recycle twist off bottles.  I am afraid of the things that some others have come across such as substandard carbonation due to a poor seal and breaking bottles due to thinner glass.  Just as oscarvan says "Put too much work and money in to the beer to risk it."

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:41:12 am »
I have two or three twisties that have made it into the rotation of bottles... and I figure I will keep using them until they break.  I am using the two handle capper and so far I have gotten 8 to 10 uses out of them, and the neat thing is they do twist off!!

However, I have noticed that the seal is not as good as other bottles.  So if you are going to hold onto them for a while, I would stay away from the twisties.

Good luck!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 12:14:28 pm »
That's why I had to torque them a bit to seal the cap better. But it's such a PITA I recycle them. Most brews I buy these days have reverted to regular pry-offs, but occasionally there's a twistie that comes along.  :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rasurejo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 09:42:33 am »
Best thing to do with the Twisties is to use a wet tile saw and turn them into Flight Glasses!!