Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corn sugar solution vs. sugar tablets when bottling  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Keith Wedinger

• 1st Kit
Corn sugar solution vs. sugar tablets when bottling
« on: December 24, 2019, 10:07:10 am »
When I bottled my Rauchbier using sugar tablets for carbonation/conditioning, the resultant carbonation level with rather disappointing. I currently have a smoked porter fermenting where I will try using the corn sugar solution.

Has anyone has good luck using the sugar tablets? It certainly saves time.
Keith Wedinger
@jkwuc89 on Twitter and Untappd
Member of Homebrewers of Powell in OH

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Corn sugar solution vs. sugar tablets when bottling
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 10:48:27 am »
I've had good success with the carbonation Drops using one per 12 oz. bottle. The smaller tablets require using multiple tablets depending on the size of the bottle.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 11:33:46 am »
When I bottled my Rauchbier using sugar tablets for carbonation/conditioning, the resultant carbonation level with rather disappointing. I currently have a smoked porter fermenting where I will try using the corn sugar solution.

I have had the same experience repeatedly and no longer use them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 08:54:54 pm »

I don’t have any experience with the sugar tablets. But I can tell you that making good beer is a labor of love and I learned from experience that cutting corners does not pay. FWIW
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 07:53:50 am »

I don’t have any experience with the sugar tablets. But I can tell you that making good beer is a labor of love and I learned from experience that cutting corners does not pay. FWIW

The tabs aren't  cutting corners.  They can be as viable a way to prime as many other things.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 10:03:45 am »
I've been using the smaller tabs and have had mixed results. I've been going by the recommendations on the package and the carbonation levels have all been below what I had hoped. The latest failure is a Christmas barleywine I just opened last night. They were bottled three months ago and have been sitting in the back of a closet the whole time but have near zero carbonation. I'll use up the rest of the package in my inventory and try adding one or two extra tabs but after thee are gone I'm done with them.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 08:19:00 pm »

The tabs aren't  cutting corners.  They can be as viable a way to prime as many other things.

I believe a properly measured addition of corn sugar - or another priming sugar - provides a much more precise dose of sugar based on the volume of CO2 needed in the particular style. I’m not sure one can get that result using a pre measured pellet. What’s more, I have read about many brewers who have shared their displeasure with the pellets.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 09:02:14 am »
I've been using the smaller tabs and have had mixed results. I've been going by the recommendations on the package and the carbonation levels have all been below what I had hoped. The latest failure is a Christmas barleywine I just opened last night. They were bottled three months ago and have been sitting in the back of a closet the whole time but have near zero carbonation. I'll use up the rest of the package in my inventory and try adding one or two extra tabs but after thee are gone I'm done with them.

In the case of your Barleywine the problem might not be insufficient or unsuitable priming sugar but rather insufficient viable yeast to do the carbonating. As discussed recently in another thread, I always have difficulty getting bigger beers to bottle condition.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 08:29:09 am »
I have never had an issue with tablets or carbonation drops. I have had a problem making a solution. I use bigger bottles and two drops per bottle.
I’d prefer and recommend the drops. I don’t know why I have so mich inconsistency when I make a solution. I seem to have bottle bombs and flat bottles when I use that method.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 04:38:23 pm »
I save money and buy Domino Dots.  2.3 grams of table sugar per dot.  198 Dots in a box.  Under $2 at my local supermarket.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 11:58:31 am »
I've done the small tabs, the carb drops, and domino dots.  Of the options, I prefer the dots.

I will not use the small tabs again as I got weird floaty parts of the tabs that did not dissolve.

I found the carb drops to be inconsistent bottle to bottle.

On really big beers that have aged, I've had trouble getting carbonation due to lack of viable yeast or maybe just too little yeast in suspension.  Time helps, but not always.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 01:18:14 pm »
I've done the small tabs, the carb drops, and domino dots.  Of the options, I prefer the dots.

I'm with you on the Domino Dots.  Perfect for a decent carbonation level on many 12 ounce beers.  In theory, 2.291 grams of pure cane sugar. 2.31 grams per dot on my scale.  The priming equivalent of ~2.53 grams of dextrose (corn sugar).  And they fully dissolve in a jiffy.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:36:00 pm by Silver_Is_Money »