Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 24 years!  (Read 2331 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: 24 years!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 01:43:03 pm »
I've got the brewing and art museum intersection.

Renaissance men
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 01:15:47 am »
OMG some of you are old ... I was 14 in in 84!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 07:08:36 am »
Congrats on the 24 years! Also, thanks to you and all of the others who have used their own time to answer and help other homebrewers. This forum is a valuable resource for the homebrewing community and has helped me and many more over the years.
Dan Chisholm

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2019, 09:43:25 am »
Crazy how time flies..... looking back, I must have started in about 1995-1996.  Don't remember the exact date, but I know it was definitely before 1997 and definitely after 1994.   Did not realize I had that many years under my belt.  Amazing how much has changed over the years, but the one thing that seems to have changed more than anything is access to information and communication with other brewers.  I can learn more about brewing in a couple hours today than I could have in a couple years when I started. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
24 years!
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2019, 12:58:17 pm »
I think my first extract batch was ‘92 or so. I ordered a starter kit from Williams when I was stationed in Savannah which was before I was assigned to Italy in ‘93-‘96. I recall taking home brew in a rinsed out half gal milk jug to watch the Sand-gnats play baseball.  They allowed us to bring in our ‘ice tea’ to sit and watch from the wooden bleachers.  After the Italy, Clarksville TN, DC, and Clarksville (again) assignments, subsequent retirement and move to Huntsville, I began brewing again in ‘13 when AL made home brew legal.

It’s been fun watching Yellowhammer grow as well as the other breweries in the area. Had some good times under that Pecan tree in the Biergarten behind the brewery. Weird turn of events lately but glad to see it’s working out.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 12:59:51 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2019, 01:28:17 pm »
Lots of old timers here :)

I first brewed in ‘95 but stopped after a year or two. Life got in the way. I also was on an island. No club. Now Internet forums (that I knew of). My beer wasn’t as good as beer I could get at local breweries.

I started again in 2010. I moved to Mississippi in 2008 and the craft beer scene there was abysmal. So, I took matters into my own hands. A great local club, Homebrewtalk, and later this forum helped me improve my beer so much.

Now I live in great city for craft beer but I tend to prefer my own beer. It’s not necessarily better, but, I made it after all.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2019, 11:26:06 am »
OMG some of you are old ... I was 14 in in 84!

Yes, and being old and stoved up mostly sucks, but I'm pretty sure it beats the only alternative I know of.
   Living in BFE the best beer I can find in this town is in my beer cellar, but even when I was in Knoxville for 3 months last year, I couldn't find much of anything that I liked more than my home favorites. Peculiar tastes I guess.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 12:07:21 pm »
And yet I continue to brew both as a hobby and professionally. Yesterday I brewed a Kölsch and even after 24+ years of brewing essentially the same recipe I tried something new based on information I found here on this forum. And my excitement has yet to waiver. I am just as excited about this last batch as I was about the first batch I ever brewed. Holy hell I think I am even more excited. And I'm not sure how that is possible.

What was the change you made?  It is hard to believe how time flies.  I remember the days of your "Going Pro" announcement.  YHB has been banging it out ever since.  Congrats to a great 24!  I'm brewing my same old Kolsch this weekend.  Some things never change, but it just may with your results. 
Jeff B

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 04:44:42 pm »
I helped some guys make cider on some sort of hippy commune in the early 80’s.  I mostly remember the topless gals hoeing potatoes.  Brewed my first batch of beer in 1987.  Ironmaster Brown Ale kit.  I’m sure I used 3 pounds of corn sugar in the boil.  I got a couple of cases of empty Piels bottles from the redemption center. Glass was 1/2 inch thick.  Some half full of tobacco juice......

I still have my old recipe book.  Did extract brews until 2009 when I shelled out the cash for a big kettle, lauter tun, etc.  Never been happier.