Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dryhopping residue  (Read 1451 times)

Offline shea-arne

• 1st Kit
Dryhopping residue
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:58:23 am »
hey guys. Dry hopped my IPA 1.5 weeks ago with cascade pellets. Left them in there for 4 days. I then syphoned the beer from the primary to the secondary. There was a lot of hop residue and crap floating around that was syphoned over with the beer, but i have at least removed it from the mass at the bottom.

Was going to bottle it yesterday (8 days in secondary),but the beer was still ridden with hoppy crap floating on the top and throughout the beer as far as i could tell.
My question is therefore: how much longer do i have to wait til this stuff falls to the bottom, or should i just bottle it?
Will extra time in the secondary detract from the great hoppy aroma from the dryhopping?

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Dryhopping residue
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:17:42 am »
If you can drop the temp, it tends to make the pellet hop chunks sink to the bottom. Gently rocking the carboy helps speed the floaters into sinking too, just don't get too crazy.
Mark Gres

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:11:14 am »
Agreed, crash cool it to help it clear a bit, then bottle.  Give it three days, as cold as you can get it.
Tom Schmidlin

beveragebob

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 05:24:55 pm »
You can always use a mesh bag at the bottom of your siphon then start the siphon and you should be able to "filter" out more of the residue.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:24:48 am »
Wrapping a (new, unused, sanitized :) ) copper Choreboy around the end of my siphon has also improved the clarity of my dryhopped beers. 
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member