Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Delirium tremens  (Read 1814 times)

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
Delirium tremens
« on: December 25, 2019, 12:55:06 pm »
Does anyone know what yeasts are used in delirium tremens?
AHA Member 900001775

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Delirium tremens
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 08:05:18 am »
Just had a couple yesterday.  Tasted like Ardennes wpuld be the closest.  WY3522
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 09:08:15 am »
I could be dead wrong on this, but I read somewhere that the brewery that makes Delirium Tremens (Brauerei Hyughe) uses a blend of 3 yeasts for this beer.  Denny could be right about making a perfectly acceptable homebrew homage with the Ardennes yeast, though.  Belgian (and other) breweries many times arrive at their "house yeast" by virtue of re-pitching and selectively blending yeasts to promote the character they want to achieve through their fermentations.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 09:23:50 am »
I could be dead wrong on this, but I read somewhere that the brewery that makes Delirium Tremens (Brauerei Hyughe) uses a blend of 3 yeasts for this beer.  Denny could be right about making a perfectly acceptable homebrew homage with the Ardennes yeast, though.  Belgian (and other) breweries many times arrive at their "house yeast" by virtue of re-pitching and selectively blending yeasts to promote the character they want to achieve through their fermentations.

I am less concerned about recreating the ingredients and more concerned about creating the experience.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 10:19:52 am »

I am less concerned about recreating the ingredients and more concerned about creating the experience.

For sure - their ingredients are definitely simple, as with most Belgians.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 11:49:45 am »

Yeah, but what I was realkky getting at is that I don't care about the exact yeast if it tastes the same in the end.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 12:02:19 pm »

Yeah, but what I was realkky getting at is that I don't care about the exact yeast if it tastes the same in the end.

Yes, I completely agree.  Perfectly matching is a unicorn chase, typically.

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 10:56:54 am »
So, gentleman.

Thank you for the input. In your opinions, what fermentation temp would create a similar taste/flavor profile?
AHA Member 900001775

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 12:52:18 pm »
So, gentleman.

Thank you for the input. In your opinions, what fermentation temp would create a similar taste/flavor profile?

Assuming WY3522, low 60s

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 08:30:44 pm »
Somewhat off topic, but I have been brewing 10 gallons batches for the past 15 years or so, and always split my wort into two fermentors and pitch two different yeasts.  For my Belgian ales, my favorite yeasts have been the Dupont, LaChouffe, and Westmalle strains, in that order of preference. Caveat: O do not aspire to recreate a beer, just something Belgian/Trappist.  The fruity notes of the Dupont strain is the winner for my taste buds, although the spicy phenols of the LaChouffe strain are a close second. I find the Westmalle yeast to be a good balance between the fruit and spice, but both are somewhat muted together. Still, it is the general work horse that I always use when I am brewing to entertain a crowd.

Back on topic, I concur with the LaChouffe (Ardennes) strain recommendation for a DT clone.