Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hop particles  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Dry hop particles
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2019, 09:26:04 am »

But note that you couldn't do that with a floating dip tube of any sort.
[/quote]

I use this with whole hops, they float, does not clog with whole hops.  Now pellets are a different beast all together. They sink and love to clog.
https://www.homebrewing.org/Corny-Keg-Dip-Tube-Screen_p_2091.html
[/quote]

I just meant that you couldn't use one of those canisters with a floating dip tube,  the dip tube equipment would get hung up on it.  Loose hops with or without a screen as needed will be fine.  Clear Beer has an optional screen for the intake.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline baltocharlie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2019, 01:00:48 pm »

[/quote]

I just meant that you couldn't use one of those canisters with a floating dip tube,  the dip tube equipment would get hung up on it.  Loose hops with or without a screen as needed will be fine.  Clear Beer has an optional screen for the intake.
[/quote]

Ahh, got it. makes sense.  thanks

Offline baltocharlie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 06:20:05 am »
I did buy the Clear Beer system.  It made it here in 1 day!!  I included the screen, a tad pricey though. It will be tested on a clogged dry hopped IPA today. Will post results.  Hopefully the keg won't gush when I open it, I have been bleeding it all week long.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 05:57:24 am by baltocharlie »

Offline MerlinWerks

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 08:39:15 am »
I've had good success with the Top-Draw dip tubes, I have three and will buy more when they are back in stock. Initially I did experience the issue of "No-Draw" mentioned by Robert, especially when filling my portable cannonball kegs, I presume because of the extended draw. Then I read that the trick was in how you connect the float to the dip tube. They are connected with a SS split ring, there are two holes in the end of the dip tube that this ring passes through. The trick is to only use one of the holes. Not sure if it's completely foolproof but I haven't had an issue since I made the change at the beginning of the Summer...

Offline ajr7678

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 08:55:33 pm »
I started using this recently:

https://fhsteinbart.com/product/auto-siphon-screen-1-18-x-21/

I just fermented a super hoppy beer, two weeks in the primary and then straight to the keg.  I dry hopped the beer in a bag with some weights, then I racked to the keg using the screen in the link above.  Super clear beer, one transfer, and I’m drinking the beer right now, a liquid toast black IPA clone. 

Note, I am using all pellets for hops.  My supplier no longer carries full leaf.  This system is working wonder and screen wasn’t to pricey