Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle Storage and Cleaning (Without a Dishwasher)  (Read 4212 times)

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Bottle Storage and Cleaning (Without a Dishwasher)
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 11:04:12 pm »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the old classroom standard heat sterilization with an oven method as outlined here:

http://www.lubilosa.org/Engl03a.PDF

as well as in other, likely more appropriate, sources.

I've heard it makes bottles more fragile, although I've never experienced it.

Clean your bottles with soap and water, final rinse with distilled water, cover opening with tin foil - bake at 350F for 2 hours - that's sterile. Plus it's cheaper than star san (if you've never taken intro econ and learned about opportunity cost).

Bonus points for pressure canning starter wort and antiseptically pouring into sterile e-flask - my yeast don't out-compete because they've never had to.

Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 12:11:51 pm »
My wife and I have an understanding at dish washing time. I fill, swirl, and rinse out the beer bottle(s) leaving some soapy water in the bottom to help break up any stuck yeast on the bottom. We leave them on the counter overnight. The next day the bottle(s) are rinsed again and set to drain with the other dishes.  I take them to the cellar and cover the bottles with an old towel. Rarely do I have to do any scrubbing with a brush or use the jet washer. Bottles that sat out and didn't get washed after a party are the ones that need more attention

When I'm ready to bottle, I pump some warm water through the bottles to flush out any dust or spiders using the VinatorĀ® and place them on the bottle tree and discard the used water. I've prepped my priming solution beforehand and racked   I then fill the Vinator bowl with BTF Iodophor solution. Star San is too sudsy for the Vinator and the BTF Iodophor dries very quickly compared to Star San. Tossing the bottle caps into the Vinator as well. Two pumps on the Vinator into the bottle and onto the bottle tree, loading from the top to bottom. By the time I'm done with that, the first sanitized bottles on top are dry.  I fill six bottles and cap the six at a time.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

narvin

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 12:15:09 pm »
1/8 tsp or so of PBW per bottle and some hot water will take care of the cleaning.  I'd sanitize right before bottling... you can siphon sanitizer out of your bottling bucket into your bottles, or just throw all of the bottles in the bucket (if you are sure the outsides are relatively clean).