Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg to keg transfer question  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Keg to keg transfer question
« on: January 10, 2020, 07:56:12 am »
I have a porter in a keg that I added a bit too much hazelnut extract to.  I'm thinking about diluting the hazelnut flavor  by transferring some of the base beer in the other keg to it. 

I would use a jumper between the liquid out posts, but I'm not sure how to handle the pressure in the two kegs.  If I vent the pressure in the receiving keg, then how much pressure should I have in the transfer keg to push it through?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Keg to keg transfer question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 08:21:32 am »
Just enough.....usually in the 2-5 psi range
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 08:26:09 am »
I'm assuming the beer is already carbonated.  In that case....  You want to start with both kegs pressurized to a little bit higher than the equilibrium pressure of the beer (that is, pressure needed to maintain your carbonation level at the current temperature.  What you find on a carbonation chart, or your serving pressure.)  Then gently bleed  pressure from the receiving keg to start and maintain flow, but don't let it drop below the pressure of equilibrium.  This will prevent any gas breakout and foaming.  It's the same principle as counterpressure bottling. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 11:24:11 am »
I'm assuming the beer is already carbonated.  In that case....  You want to start with both kegs pressurized to a little bit higher than the equilibrium pressure of the beer (that is, pressure needed to maintain your carbonation level at the current temperature.  What you find on a carbonation chart, or your serving pressure.)  Then gently bleed  pressure from the receiving keg to start and maintain flow, but don't let it drop below the pressure of equilibrium.  This will prevent any gas breakout and foaming.  It's the same principle as counterpressure bottling.

^^^^This.
If you have a spunding valve it will help you maintain the equilibrium pressure by reading the pressure on the gauge.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 08:06:53 pm »
Google "keg keg transfer".

I tried to post a pic of the procedure, but this forum's software is so amazingly primitive that you can't post a pic or (apparently) link to one on google drive! Lots of time wasted, so I gave up.

Charlie

Note: My little piddley brew club with a whole 25 members has a vastly superior website and forum. Perhaps AHA has fallen on hard times.
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 09:07:12 pm »
Hope this helps:

https://youtu.be/XywR_DRtoo8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline kitiqipi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 02:56:56 am »
Hope this helps:

https://youtu.be/XywR_DRtoo8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thank you  8)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 11:55:24 am »
Here is how I pressure transfer keg to keg.  It works well.  The spunding valve at the top of the picture is used to control the pressure in the receiving keg.

You can use a shorter line between kegs but this is my standard line ai Sue to transfer sanitizer from keg to keg.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 07:56:34 am by goose »
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified