Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Headed for Amsterdam and Brussels  (Read 2801 times)

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
Re: Headed for Amsterdam and Brussels
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 11:47:04 am »
We have made some plans.  We were able to get a room at the St. Bernardus Guesthouse  for a few days.  We have a tour set for St. Bernardus and I'm planning to go to the cafe across from Saint Sixtus.  I might try to get a case of their beer from the preorder website buy but most likely will just try to get some at the cafe. 

Has anyone gone to the other breweries in the area?  Has anyone went to the hop museum?  I plan to get a car and maybe drive in from Bruges.  Where is the WWI Museum?
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

narvin

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 12:12:42 pm »
I really enjoyed that area of west flanders.  We went to the WW1 museum in Ypres and the hop museum in Watou.  For breweries we had a tour of Van Eecke (which is now called Leroy Watou, I think). Not sure if it's open to the public but you can drink Poperings Hommelbeir at the cafe across the street.  For dinner T'Hommelhoff was nice.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 01:16:20 pm »
The group we were with last summer went on the Brewery Tour in Bruges and they said they had a blast.  My wife and I have old friends in Brussels so we broke from the group and took the train into the capitol for the day. 

The brewery tour isn't actually a tour of a brewery though.  All of them we were on in Europe, were brewing museums that came with samples. 8^)

We've talked about staying in Gent the next time we go. It's half way between Bruges and Brussels, still a tourist trap but mostly Belgium residents and not so many international folks.  We've been to Bruges twice.  It was fun and interesting but three times would be too much I think.

Have a great trip!!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 11:24:55 pm »
We have made some plans.  We were able to get a room at the St. Bernardus Guesthouse  for a few days.  We have a tour set for St. Bernardus and I'm planning to go to the cafe across from Saint Sixtus.  I might try to get a case of their beer from the preorder website buy but most likely will just try to get some at the cafe. 

Has anyone gone to the other breweries in the area?  Has anyone went to the hop museum?  I plan to get a car and maybe drive in from Bruges.  Where is the WWI Museum?
Sanctuary Woods outside of Ypres has trenches from WWI preserved. 
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison