Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coconut Imparial Amber Ale  (Read 808 times)

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
Coconut Imparial Amber Ale
« on: January 12, 2020, 07:48:28 pm »
Four Sons brewing in Huntington Beach CA brews an Imperial Amber Ale with Coconut called King Coco.  The beer is very "creamy" with very little hoppy character.  I know from experience that they don't use extracts so will plan to use toasted coconut for the coconut.  Any ideas about a good all grain recipe for something like this?

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: Coconut Imparial Amber Ale
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 06:12:07 pm »
There's a few things I would plan on including if I was trying to create a beer like you've described.  I would just run a search to find an Amber ale recipe that looked good to me.  Then I would add some flaked oats and lactose to the recipe.  The flaked oats for the smooth silky texture they can bring to a beer.  And the lactose to add some sweetness and creaminess.  I like your idea for using toasted coconut.  I might also think about tossing in a vanilla bean or two with the coconut to add to that creamy taste.  Good luck putting your recipe together!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: Coconut Imparial Amber Ale
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 09:40:20 am »
  I advise against using store bought baking coconut. I recently did a cream ale with coconut, I toasted a 7 oz. package of shredded coconut to a medium brown and added it to the FV after fermentation was essentially complete. The beer turned out to be pretty tasty but there is a hint of a chemical aftertaste that I can't quite put my finger on, I'm almost certain though that it came from the coconut. In the future I think I'll either use fresh or at least something that doesn't have added sugar or preservatives. TIFWIW
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!