Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada 40th Anniversary Ale  (Read 4302 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Sierra Nevada 40th Anniversary Ale
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2020, 08:02:49 am »
I’ve been wanting to pick this up but seems like a pretty weak choice for a 40th anniversary beer. Still confused about their motives with this one.
What were you expecting. Sierra Nevada was never into making over the top beers. Just pretty much straight forward brews.

Had this last evening for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed the flavors, aromas, and bitterness. As Denny said. Ir represents their history well.

Maybe something worthy of a 40th anniversary.

In your opinion.  Obviously not the opinion of others.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2020, 08:21:22 am »
I’ve been wanting to pick this up but seems like a pretty weak choice for a 40th anniversary beer. Still confused about their motives with this one.
What were you expecting. Sierra Nevada was never into making over the top beers. Just pretty much straight forward brews.

Had this last evening for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed the flavors, aromas, and bitterness. As Denny said. Ir represents their history well.

Obviously Denny. I apologize for having a different opinion. I forgot you are all knowing  ;) I'll go back to my corner...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 08:24:07 am by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

narvin

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2020, 08:25:39 am »
Saying that an entire style of beer without even trying it is "unworthy" of an anniversary beer is a very strong opinion.  You can have it, but if you don't provide any argument for it (other than it's not a big beer), a lot of people will probably write it off without further thought.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2020, 08:42:42 am »
Saying that an entire style of beer without even trying it is "unworthy" of an anniversary beer is a very strong opinion.  You can have it, but if you don't provide any argument for it (other than it's not a big beer), a lot of people will probably write it off without further thought.

Sounds good. I never wrote it off just said I was surprised they didn't do something more "special". That's my argument. Sorry to have a different opinion guys and sorry that something that was obvious to Denny wasn't to me. Didn't realize I needed to back up opinions.

narvin

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2020, 08:45:14 am »

Sounds good. I never wrote it off just said I was surprised they didn't do something more "special". That's my argument. Sorry to have a different opinion guys and sorry that something that was obvious to Denny wasn't to me. Didn't realize I needed to back up opinions.

That's fine.  I was assuming it was because it wasn't a big beer, or a beer with lots of spices or additions.  I don't know if that's true, but if that's the case I'm gonna voice the opposite opinion because I think a lot of over the top beers are terrible!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2020, 08:45:20 am »

Obviously Denny. I apologize for having a different opinion. I forgot you are all knowing  ;) I'll go back to my corner...

I think you misinterpreted my comment
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2020, 08:47:43 am »
Sorry guys. Didn't mean to cause a fuss

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2020, 03:52:45 pm »
No fuss here. I thought it was a little underwhelming as well. Not bad, but not something I would probably seek out again. I stated before that it seemed more like a Pale Ale. My tastes have changed over the years and I expect an American IPA to have a ton of hop flavor and aroma and this one didn’t. 20 years ago I would probably think it was extremely hoppy, but my lupulin shift and crushed palette expect a hop punch in the mouth now. I prefer the Celebration Ale much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2020, 07:24:57 am »
No fuss here. I thought it was a little underwhelming as well. Not bad, but not something I would probably seek out again. I stated before that it seemed more like a Pale Ale. My tastes have changed over the years and I expect an American IPA to have a ton of hop flavor and aroma and this one didn’t. 20 years ago I would probably think it was extremely hoppy, but my lupulin shift and crushed palette expect a hop punch in the mouth now. I prefer the Celebration Ale much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I was never implying that they should brew some crazy double milkshake vanilla IPA. Just something more memorable. They could have tweeked Celebration and named it something different and I would have been more into it. Just my opinion.