Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: recommendations for an AWESOME mead  (Read 1185 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
recommendations for an AWESOME mead
« on: February 05, 2020, 10:13:21 am »
to preface, i have made several meads over the years and have my basic dry mead method down well. however, it's good but plain tasting.

what i want is a great mead recipe if anyone knows one. im thinking additions that really boost the strength of flavour. i am willing to let this one sit for a year, so no rush. though with proper minerals and nutrients i find those old mead looong schedules are not totally necessary.

ideas i have so far are:
-use a portion (20%) of very dark honey -darken the colour for a good visual and flavour tweak
-use a roasted malt (chocolate or carafa) to darken the colour and add flavour (does anyone have a tested combo of crystal malts? suggestions on hops?)
-use a lot of honey to make a much stronger mead than usual (~1.125 OG - maxing out the wine yeast)

or anything else? if someone knows how to clone a schram mead well let me know.

Offline brendanlee

• 1st Kit
Re: recommendations for an AWESOME mead
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 11:38:27 am »

Offline brendanlee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 11:39:25 am »
I had really good luck with a caramel apple mead I started in September and just bottled. It came out to around 19%. When I’m home I’ll edit with the recipe.

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 11:58:49 am »
The AHA website has many great mead recipes that come from National Homebrew Competition medal winners, Zymurgy magazine, and commercial meadery clones: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipes/?style=mead
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 12:51:13 pm »
I'll throw a couple things your way.  You mentioned using a darker honey.  Definitely give this a try.  I prefer using darker honeys.  They seem to ferment out better for me, as well as provide a fuller flavor at the end.  A dark wildflower honey is pretty much my favorite to use.  I'm also a big fan of Japanese Knotweed honey if you can find it.  It's a very dark amber color and has some great caramel flavors.

Another thing you can try is a bochet mead.  This will involve boiling a portion of your honey to darken and caramelize it.  I have a 1/2 barrel batch going that I just back sweetened with a gallon of caramelize honey.  Forewarning, if you boil honey make sure you use a pot that's around 4 times the size of your honey.  It's also going to make your entire house smell like toasted marshmallows and caramel. :D

You also mentioned using malts to add color and flavor.  I've done this a couple times.  In general I haven't been thrilled with the results.  The last one I did with malt was a smoked braggot.  I made a batch of wort using a base grain, crystal, and smoked malts (no hops).  Then I added a bunch of honey and fermented.  It initially came out pretty good.  But what I ran into was the flavor change was very unpredictable as it aged.  For a few months the mead was great.  Half a year later it seemed that the best flavors were falling off.  If you want to try using malt, I'd say go for it.  But malt may have an impact on the maturing schedule you normally use for your mead.

And your last point, about using a higher gravity.  This also is something I do regularly.  Not all, but most of the meads I make have an OG of 1.120 - 1.125.  With this you may find that your batch doesn't ferment out completely dry.  This works well for me because I prefer sweet and semi-sweet mead.

Another thing you can look at is adding some fruit.  You'll see different options on when and how to add fruit, so do some looking around to see what might work best for you.  For myself, I prefer using fresh fruit over extracts.  I usually get a batch of mead to the point it's a few months out from bottling time.  Cut the fruit up into a carboy (or whatever container you're using).  Rack the mead on top with an addition of potassium metabisulfite.  My usual amount is about a pound of fruit per gallon of mead.  You may want a little more or a little less, but this has always given me a good baseline.  Give it 2 - 3 weeks and rack it off.

Cheers and good luck!

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 05:00:26 pm »
The best mead I ever made was with elderberries I picked one late summer.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambucus_canadensis
There was a little mouse hanging on one of the umbrels of the bush I was harvesting pretending to hide, and I pretended not to see her.

I’m going to say 18lb of raw wildflower honey, yeast nutrient, water, packet of Montrachet yeast and a gallon of elderberries tied up in cheesecloth for 5 gallons of mead.  No boil, but heated to warm everything up.  Pulled the berries out of the fermenter after a few weeks and bottled.  Aged for 8 months or so.  I got 3rd place in a REN-faire type competition, which isn’t saying too much because some of the stuff was really bad.  Definitely a sweet mead.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 05:11:18 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, i forgot to mention bochet technique and i also didn't add fruit, though after reading some mead articles again, i might do careful fruit and herb additions. good to get warned about the malts.

what i'll do i believe is 1.12 OG by stepped additions (maybe just one step after original --wort[?]), 500g dark buckwheat honey and as yet unchosen botanicals of only a small addition.

Thanks!