Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Red Ale/Yeast selection  (Read 726 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Red Ale/Yeast selection
« on: February 05, 2020, 08:58:40 pm »
I have purchased all my new equipment that should be arriving tomorrow, And am currently working on my home made wort chiller, I'm currently looking for suggestions on a Red ale recipe and a good yeast associated, as stated in my previous post by somebody the yeast game has definitely changed over the years. Curious to see what yeasts others are using or can suggest.

Please excuse me this is the beginning of a long list of questions.

Cheers!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Red Ale/Yeast selection
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 09:41:11 pm »
I have purchased all my new equipment that should be arriving tomorrow, And am currently working on my home made wort chiller, I'm currently looking for suggestions on a Red ale recipe and a good yeast associated, as stated in my previous post by somebody the yeast game has definitely changed over the years. Curious to see what yeasts others are using or can suggest.

Please excuse me this is the beginning of a long list of questions.

Cheers!
The basic recipe is 90/10 pale ale malt and C60. Then use a small amount of a dark malt for color. I like C120 for color. Others use tiny amounts of Carafa, midnight wheat, or maybe chocolate. I prefer the C120 to avoid roasted flavors. 

I like 40-50 IBUs with a late addition and dry hops. I like Equinox hops.

For yeast Chico is common. I just tried Lallemand Köln. It was great in a red ale.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:40:32 pm by tommymorris »

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Red Ale/Yeast selection
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 10:31:11 pm »
Thank you very much,

Offline BrewBama

Red Ale/Yeast selection
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 08:58:19 am »
... I like Equinox hops.

Do you find Equinox (Ekuenot) hops used early creates a harsh bitterness?

I’ve read to use it late to take advantage of the cohumulone. My plan for an upcoming beer is a 10 or 15 min addition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

Re: Red Ale/Yeast selection
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 07:39:57 pm »
... I like Equinox hops.

Do you find Equinox (Ekuenot) hops used early creates a harsh bitterness?

I’ve read to use it late to take advantage of the cohumulone. My plan for an upcoming beer is a 10 or 15 min addition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I haven’t used it for bittering additions. It’s a very tasty hop so I save it for flavor and aroma. In my recent Amber I used it at 15 and dry hop (in the keg). The beer was good before the dry hop. It was awesome after. I used Chinook FWH for my bittering addition on that beer.