Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Wort Study  (Read 5050 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: A Wort Study
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2020, 11:46:58 am »
In his article The Tradition of Foreign Export Stout in Craft Beer and Brewing, Drew hit the nail on the head:

“These days, it seems we are not much for subtlety. Whether it’s politics, religion, beer, haze, or clarity, we are deeply, deeply divided into our various tribes. The more extreme we can make it, the more attention it grabs. The middle is never a very hyped position...”

have to admit - every once in a while, I like what I write.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2020, 11:52:19 am »
In his article The Tradition of Foreign Export Stout in Craft Beer and Brewing, Drew hit the nail on the head:

“These days, it seems we are not much for subtlety. Whether it’s politics, religion, beer, haze, or clarity, we are deeply, deeply divided into our various tribes. The more extreme we can make it, the more attention it grabs. The middle is never a very hyped position...”

have to admit - every once in a while, I like what I write.

Somebody has to..... ;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Die Beerery

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2020, 12:40:16 pm »
I would have thought the home of "RDWHAHB", wouldn't have nearly the most anti-RDWHAHB of all. Noted, I will remember to not lend information to this "tribe" and stick with my own (AHA promotes segregation? I guess?).
Cheers, RDWHAHB?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 12:50:30 pm »
I would have thought the home of "RDWHAHB", wouldn't have nearly the most anti-RDWHAHB of all. Noted, I will remember to not lend information to this "tribe" and stick with my own (AHA promotes segregation? I guess?).
Cheers, RDWHAHB?

Can't see where you get that, but it's your choice.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 01:08:41 pm »
Cheers, RDWHAHB?
I don't get it. 
This tribe member is still interested in all new info.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 01:13:29 pm »
Cheers, RDWHAHB?

To which tribe member might you be referring in particular?  Let us know so we can smack him until he relaxes.  If you're talking about that one guy, never mind that one, he only shows up here every couple of months.  Not sure what tribe he's from.  Hell... I don't even know which tribe I'm from.  If there's a tribe for a guy who listens to all the inputs, forms strong opinions, only to flip-flop and change his mind later, that might be the tribe I'm from.  Sometimes.  Maybe.  In other news, I am now fermenting in tall glass vases.  But I digress.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 02:28:30 pm »
Cheers, RDWHAHB?

To which tribe member might you be referring in particular?  Let us know so we can smack him until he relaxes.  If you're talking about that one guy, never mind that one, he only shows up here every couple of months.  Not sure what tribe he's from.  Hell... I don't even know which tribe I'm from.  If there's a tribe for a guy who listens to all the inputs, forms strong opinions, only to flip-flop and change his mind later, that might be the tribe I'm from.  Sometimes.  Maybe.  In other news, I am now fermenting in tall glass vases.  But I digress.

Good on ya, Dave!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 02:47:38 pm »
Cheers, RDWHAHB?

If you're talking about that one guy, never mind that one, he only shows up here every couple of months.  Not sure what tribe he's from.

If this is referring to me, I stopped participating after I got worn out reading complaints about NEIPA or homebrew quality.

Anyway, any plan on doing this with ale yeasts?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2020, 04:08:50 pm »
While I think there’s a lot that matters to make good beer, when it comes to ‘tribalism’ (aka the group think Drew’s intro I cited above describes in many areas of society), maybe we could all use a double dose of RDWHAHB in many areas of our lives.  I should probably be first in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2020, 05:38:14 pm »
Cheers, RDWHAHB?
My comment had to do with your statement about citizen science.  Quantifying things is great- but doing so a few times without replication, controls, and the like isn't what I would call science.  I think by saying that you've had enough of "citizen science" without being clear about what you mean by that invites comment and implies some level of tribalism in and of itself.  Doesn't it?

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2020, 10:03:51 am »
does anyone have that recipe for 'shut the f**k up!' ?  :P
Phoenix, AZ

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 12:24:40 pm »
does anyone have that recipe for 'shut the f**k up!' ?  :P

In my experience, beer serves quite the opposite effect - for both good and ill
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 05:43:55 pm »

In my experience, beer serves quite the opposite effect - for both good and ill

;D

Like button!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 06:09:11 am »
Bravo!

...FWIW...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 07:16:13 am »
Thank you for the information- definitely helps understand what is going on start to finish.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"