Author Topic: A Wort Study  (Read 794 times)

Offline Die Beerery

• 1st Kit
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
A Wort Study
« on: January 15, 2020, 01:48:08 AM »
Ever wonder how long it actually takes for yeast to pick up all the oxygen from oxygenation? How long it takes pH to drop from the yeast? How much Dissolved oxygen that hop addition added? How about in relation to gravity? How about in real time with every second updates?  New “wort study” getting ready to go down. I’ve had enough “citizen science” it’s tine for the real thing to step and and set the record straight.  Results will be published soon!

The bio reactor (aka murdered brew bucket)

Specific bio reactor transmitters.

Results to be graphed just like the YOS study. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
Re: A Wort Study
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 02:43:27 AM »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online Robert

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 03:44:33 AM »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 03:51:03 AM »
Data will be interesting.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Governing Committee
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline goose

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »
Great project!  Can't wait for results!

Don't worry, you would probably be acquitted in a court of law for murdering a Brew Bucket.  :D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified
AHA Governing Committee Member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 02:55:04 PM »
Looking forward to the results

Offline EnkAMania

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 04:36:16 PM »
Ever wonder how long it actually takes for yeast to pick up all the oxygen from oxygenation?

This is what I'm most interested in.  Thanks for doing this.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
  • Palermo, Maine
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 04:56:27 PM »
Solid data is a good thing, even if it points me in a direction I can't go, at least I know.
BJCP Certified

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »
Sounds awesome! I'm guessing the plan is to perform this with a lager yeast, or will you replicate with multiple strains? Seems like something that could be affected by yeast strain, pH, temperature, and a handful of other factors. Excited to see how it turns out!

Don't care for the dig at other bloggers though.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 01:33:09 AM »
Is that an optical oxygen sensor? It needs to be, since a standard oxygen sensor consumes oxygen in order for it to make the measurement.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Iliff Ave Brewhouse

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 02:55:32 AM »
Don't care for the dig at other bloggers though.

Would you expect any less?

I expect great information from the study though.
On Tap/Bottled: Maibock, Spiced Copper, Iliff IPA, G Pils

Fermenting: American Strong w/Cherry
Up Next: Red Rye, Dunkel

Offline chinaski

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 02:12:01 AM »
. I’ve had enough “citizen science” it’s tine for the real thing to step and and set the record straight.  Results will be published soon!

Great- not citizen science, eh?  Where will this work of professional science be published?  How many replicates of your experiments will there be?  Who is funding it?  Who will be the peer reviewers be?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 04:07:36 PM »
All results from this testing phase are being posted at the LOB website in the 'Science and Testing' forum.
The posts can be found here: http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

I see no "dig" at any other specific bloggers (yet).

Yeast Oxygen Scavenging testing is complete. Aside from Bilsch's testing on this matter years ago, I haven't seen any "blogging" on the subject.  If anyone's "work" is being tested here, it would be Bilsch.  You'll also find him on the LOB website giving thanks to the testing and quantifying of the process.  Bilsch provided a solid foundation and process on YOS, and Beerery just dialed it in with minimum required ingredients and time needed.  Beerery learned from Bilsch, and then Bilsch learned from Beerery.  Nice to see people working together.

As for the Wort Study, it's already underway (nearly complete).  Again, no "dig" at anyone.  Just accurate measuring and quantifying of various yeast-related processes happening during the fermentation stage.  We all ALREADY knew that yeast uptake oxygen during initial stages of fermenation, but how long does that take?  The results show the minute-by-minute uptake in this particular scenario.  Same with pH: we already knew the pH drops during fermenation, but how much and fast?  The results are shown minute-by-minute.

I believe that when Beerery says he's had enough "citizen science" that he merely is saying that he's tired of the usual statements (i.e. "yeast uptake the oxygen during fermenation", "pH drops during fermenation") without any quantification or measurements of those statements.  In this particular case: He wants to know how fast the oxygen is used up when starting at a known ppm, and how quickly the pH shifts and to what extent.  So do I for that matter, and now I have an idea for a particular kind of beer fermented in a particular way.  I'm happy to be witness to this kind of testing where I can actually watch the logged measurements by the minute, rather than get a end result statement from someone that you just have to take the word for.  This is definitely upping the game to a level I'm unwilling to afford in my own home brewery.  It's good stuff.  Stuff we've already known but never had accurate measurements of from a homebrewer on the homebrewing level.

Wort study can be found here: http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1556

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:10:06 PM by stpug »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »
This is great example of how different people have different reasons and goals in HOMEbrewing.  Obviously, there are people who really care about this info.  Then there are those like me who find it somewhere between mild interest and a yawn.  Neither attitude is wrong, neither attitude is right for everyone.  That's what makes HOMEbrewing so great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 06:31:27 PM »
In his article The Tradition of Foreign Export Stout in Craft Beer and Brewing, Drew hit the nail on the head:

“These days, it seems we are not much for subtlety. Whether it’s politics, religion, beer, haze, or clarity, we are deeply, deeply divided into our various tribes. The more extreme we can make it, the more attention it grabs. The middle is never a very hyped position...”

It is interesting how we all get something different from the hobby. I just finished chilling a batch and I’m already thinking about the next one, looking at the calendar to see which day(s) might be best to brew again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL