Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Brew Day  (Read 869 times)

Offline BCaplette

• 1st Kit
First Brew Day
« on: January 15, 2020, 06:19:31 pm »
So Monday is my first brew day and I have everything planned and I have everything planned out with a checklist except........ fermentation temperature control.  I’m keep brew day #1 inexpensive and don’t want to splurge for a temp control unit just yet.

The closest I’m going to ferment in I’ve been monitoring for two weeks checking at all times during the day and during a couple different outside temps.  It’s consistently between 65 and 73F.  Would wrapping the carboy (glass 1 gallon) with a towel/ sweatshirt as I’ve been told works and having one below it to control floor cooling be enough for White Labs London Fog brewing a NEIPA. Package says 65-72.

Thoughts?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: First Brew Day
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 06:34:57 pm »
The towels may help by reducing a degree or two, but I suggest an inexpensive laundry tub with cold water and frozen water bottles added that can be rotated as they warm - a 2 liter water bottle will drop your temperature into a cooler range, which will serve you well.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 06:53:00 pm »
Yes, you'll want some cooling.  When they talk about the recommended temperature, that means the temperature of the fermenting beer,  not the ambient temperature.  Fermentation generates heat (same way mulch piles and garbage dumps catch fire,) and can raise the fermentation temperature by 8-10°F above ambient at peak activity.   Ynotbrusum suggests a very simple method which will serve you well.  Some people cover the fermentor with a wet towel or t shirt that reaches into the water to also get some evaporative cooling,  but in a closet with no moving air, or a humid environment, that won't give you much of an advantage.

Good luck, and welcome to the hobby!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 05:35:56 am »
These brewers ^^^^ are spot on. Years ago, I used to wrap the carboy with a towel and pour water onto the towel while a small fan was blowing on the carboy.  I would pour water 2-3 times a day for the first 3-4 days.  Not a very accurate method of temperature control, but it worked.  Good luck!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BCaplette

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 09:14:15 am »
Thanks, we're about to get a cool down in NC so it should be a little more manageable but I have a 18 gallon storage container and a blue tooth probe thermometer I have for smoking, from you 3 and a couple others I've talked to I should be good to manage the heat build up inside as well as the ambient.

Much appreciated