Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Westvletteren Trappist Beer  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Christopher Bridges

• 1st Kit
Westvletteren Trappist Beer
« on: March 03, 2020, 08:30:52 am »
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips in winning an opportunity to purchase Westvletteren beer on their web site. I've been fortunate enough to make one purchase, fell in love, and now I'm having the most difficult time winning an opportunity to buy. Heartbreaking!! If anyone has had luck making multiple purchases directly at the Abbey, can you please share any tips?

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Westvletteren Trappist Beer
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 08:47:35 am »
I just bought it at In de Vrede
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 09:20:42 am »
This thread is pretty comprehensive :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/my-journey-to-belgium-to-buy-westvleteren.666899/

Make sure you take advantage of Belgian supermarket prices to get some St Bernardus Abt and Rochefort 10 for comparison - having done the comparison a couple of times, I'm one of the significant minority who prefer Rochefort 10 to Westvleteren 12.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 09:25:15 am »
This thread is pretty comprehensive :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/my-journey-to-belgium-to-buy-westvleteren.666899/

Make sure you take advantage of Belgian supermarket prices to get some St Bernardus Abt and Rochefort 10 for comparison - having done the comparison a couple of times, I'm one of the significant minority who prefer Rochefort 10 to Westvleteren 12.

I'm with you on the Rochefort.  But I also prefer the Westy 10 to the 12.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Christopher Bridges

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 05:33:21 am »
Thanks for the input. The thread that was provided was pretty much what my experience was with the exception of the travel. A buddy and I drove from near Cambridge UK. It was a fun trip, but a little much for two cases. We've just been having a hard time on the web site. They were selling out before our time came up. Was hoping there may be some "secret" way to move higher up the line.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 05:17:26 pm »
Any respectable homebrew recipes for these?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 06:10:26 pm »
http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 04:06:52 am »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 07:45:47 pm »
I know it’s hard to get but I’ve had a neighbor order it on line from the brewery twice in the last year. I have no idea what she paid but she has been generous in sharing. Westy 12 is delicious but did not move the moon and stars for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 03:12:58 pm »

I was not able to get to the Brewery to get cases, but going here was good, especially with another person.  I think we could get 2 six packs PER Person?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 12:51:48 pm by Jefferson Coastal »

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 03:18:33 pm »

I was not able to get to the Brewery to get cases, but going here was good, especially with another person.  I think we could get 2 six packs?

I bought more than that I'm certain.  Plus some cheese!

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 08:13:48 am »
I know it’s hard to get but I’ve had a neighbor order it on line from the brewery twice in the last year. I have no idea what she paid but she has been generous in sharing. Westy 12 is delicious but did not move the moon and stars for me.

The idea of it is, for me at least, that Westvleteren 12 becomes less unique, less mysterious, less of everything in fact when you have sampled other similar beers by the other Trappist breweries and St. Bernardus.

If you are a new convert to the big, dark belgian ales, and Westvleteren 12 is one of the first you have, it is likely to leave a very indelible mark on you. For me, it was underwhelming in light of other beers I find much better and in light of the hype and mystique around it.

It is, however, a very good entry in the Trappist roster.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 08:16:19 am »

The idea of it is, for me at least, that Westvleteren 12 becomes less unique, less mysterious, less of everything in fact when you have sampled other similar beers by the other Trappist breweries and St. Bernardus.

If you are a new convert to the big, dark belgian ales, and Westvleteren 12 is one of the first you have, it is likely to leave a very indelible mark on you. For me, it was underwhelming in light of other beers I find much better and in light of the hype and mystique around it.

It is, however, a very good entry in the Trappist roster.

Well said.  I feel the same.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 11:02:07 am »
The most revelatory experience I had with Westvleteren beer was drinking a very fresh Westvleteren Blond. It is rare to get Belgian ales in the US that are fresh enough that the hop aroma still shines through, but my Westy Blond in Cambrinus in Bruges fit the bill. Afterwards I found a handful of other beers that stuck a similar balance (I see it is now a BJCP-designated style), but it's still not something you see too often in US bottle shops, and it usually isn't super fresh.