Author Topic: HBC 2020  (Read 532 times)

Offline donger

• 1st Kit
  • "Mongo like candy..."
HBC 2020
« on: January 17, 2020, 12:58:44 AM »
Hi,
Why not cap the limit of entries? 7500 and allow participants 2-3 entires max. Nobody should be sending 7 beers! Pick your two or three best beers.

I don't get the $9 for second round - why not $5?  Or maybe just $20 per entry flat fee.

Also - have any of you been to the judging centers of late? Too many beers crammed into judging in too little a time. Inexperienced judging  - first timers and a recognized on categories that require more complex judging capabilities is what I have witnessed.  A lot of "butts in the seats" approach.   Coodinators announcing their moving on before official results posted.... Mid-judging lunch smells invading nostrils that should not be with competing smells of bbq and chili.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 01:01:26 AM by donger »
Formerly the Queen of Beer. Currently the Old Bag.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: HBC 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 03:27:07 PM »
Great questions....hope you get great answers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Gary Glass

• Global Moderator
  • Brewer
Re: HBC 2020
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 06:11:35 PM »
Hi Donger, I'll do my best to answer your questions about the National Homebrew Competition (NHC).

The entry per entrant cap is not set in advance.  We allow those interested in entering the competition to select a number of entries they would like to submit, up to 7.  Once the initial enrollment period ends (January 22), we know how many entrants and entries have been requested.  We then run an algorithm to fill in the judge centers (13 judge centers with a capacity of 750 entries each), trying to maximize the number of members that can compete in the competition, place as many entrants as possible in their primary choice of judge center, and keep the number of entries per judge center as even as possible.  In the process we run the algorithm with various options for an entry cap to find which does the best for maximizing the criteria above.  Last year, the cap was 5 entries and in 2018 it was 4.

We added the final round entry fee for a couple of reason:

1.   The cost of the final round has grown more significantly than first round costs with the growth of the competition and conference.  With Homebrew Con primarily being in convention centers now, the cost of feeding judges (have to use in-house caterers) is much greater than it is for first round sites.  In 2018, we spent $17,000 to feed final round judges.  We also incur expenses like space rental and refrigerated trailers that are either lower or aren’t incurred at all at first round sites.

2.   We continue to expand the number of categories we judge in the competition as homebrewers brew and ever-widening variety of styles.  When we add another category, it does not impact the number of entries (or entry fee revenue) in the first round, but it does impact the number of entries in the final round (13 judge centers X # of categories X top three entries per category).  So when we add a category, it hasn’t impacted the entry revenue, but it has impacted the number of judges we need, and thus cost, for the final round.
The $9 entry fee in the final round doesn’t come close to covering our actual costs for the final round, but it does help offset the growth in expenses we’ve been incurring.

I think our first round judge center volunteer organizers do a kick-ass job of executing well run competitions.  With around 750 entries per judge center, that’s a daunting task and invariably there will be some issues, as there are with pretty much every competition I’ve ever judged.  However, at all of the first round judge centers I’ve judged, the local organizers have worked very hard to ensure the entries are judged fairly and the judges are treated well.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado