Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BRY 97  (Read 5376 times)

narvin

Re: BRY 97
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 09:14:49 am »
I've never worried about lag time and haven't really seen any correlation with a short lag time making better beer. I got excellent attenuation and no off flavors when I used BRY-97 recently at a rate of 11 g / 5 gal.  I did rehydrate, which should increase the viable yeast count over just sprinkling the yeast on the wort.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 09:19:19 am »
I think it's time for me to hit my contacts at Wyeast and Lallemand and get to the bottom of this.  It makes no sense to me, but that's not saying much.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
BRY 97
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 09:38:13 am »
I think it's time for me to hit my contacts at Wyeast and Lallemand and get to the bottom of this.  It makes no sense to me, but that's not saying much.

Great idea!

Edit/followup:  Brian from Lallemand gave me a call. He said the lag I’m seeing at 36 - 48 hrs for one pack of BRY97 is too much. He thinks it’s more a matter of the age and how the yeast was handled. He says my method of overcoming this long lag by pitching two packs would work because it’s putting ~ one pack worth of good yeast in the wort to allow it to go thru it’s normal life cycle within a reasonable time. According to Brian, one pack of badly handled yeast has enough DOA cells that it creates this long lag.

It’ll be interesting to hear from Denny’s folks to compare their explanation with Brian’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:02:14 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 02:00:18 pm »

Great idea!

Edit/followup:  Brian from Lallemand gave me a call. He said the lag I’m seeing at 36 - 48 hrs for one pack of BRY97 is too much. He thinks it’s more a matter of the age and how the yeast was handled. He says my method of overcoming this long lag by pitching two packs would work because it’s putting ~ one pack worth of good yeast in the wort to allow it to go thru it’s normal life cycle within a reasonable time. According to Brian, one pack of badly handled yeast has enough DOA cells that it creates this long lag.

It’ll be interesting to hear from Denny’s folks to compare their explanation with Brian’s.

My results were with a pack that expires in February.

In reality I over pitch everything because I brew 2.5 gallon batches and don’t bother splitting packs of dry yeast.

There was a comment above about lag time not being a problem. That is my experience also. I get nervous when lag times are long but long lag times usually don’t correlate with bad batches.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 03:23:06 pm »

Great idea!

My results were with a pack that expires in February.

In reality I over pitch everything because I brew 2.5 gallon batches and don’t bother splitting packs of dry yeast.

There was a comment above about lag time not being a problem. That is my experience also. I get nervous when lag times are long but long lag times usually don’t correlate with bad batches.

I don't even think about lag time til it gets to 72 hours.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

BRY 97
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 06:37:16 am »
Interesting. I like to be at least halfway complete with fermentation in 72 hrs.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:29:10 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 08:04:38 am »
Interesting. I like to be at least halfway complete with fermentation in 72 hrs.

I'm a pretty relaxed brewer these days.  I don't stress over things like that like I used to.  I tell myself "it's only beer".

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 09:43:23 am »

I'm a pretty relaxed brewer these days.  I don't stress over things like that like I used to.  I tell myself "it's only beer".

There you go blaspheming again Denny ;).
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 09:52:34 am »

True. It’s just beer. But if I can be done two or three days sooner by simple pitch rate I don’t see a drawback.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 10:05:36 am »

True. It’s just beer. But if I can be done two or three days sooner by simple pitch rate I don’t see a drawback.

Sure, we each have our own ways of doing things. It's all good.  I just don't care if it's a few days sooner.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 12:58:59 pm »
"it's only beer"
its only a rash
its only cancer
its only death
 :P
Phoenix, AZ

narvin

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 01:12:48 pm »

I don't disagree... slower fermentations are more likely to finish with a higher FG for me.  It's just that in the case of dry yeast I don't see any correlation between lag time and the speed of the rest of fermentation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2020, 01:22:06 pm »
"it's only beer"
its only a rash
its only cancer
its only death
 :P

fortunately, beer is not as serious as any of those

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2020, 02:33:46 pm »

I don't disagree... slower fermentations are more likely to finish with a higher FG for me.  It's just that in the case of dry yeast I don't see any correlation between lag time and the speed of the rest of fermentation.

Maybe one of the groups who conduct beer experiments could brew up a 10 gal batch, split it into two fermenters, pitch one pack of BRY97 into one and two packs into the other and document the results with TILT and verifying FG with good old fashioned finishing hydrometers.

I plan to pitch one pack in one 5 gal batch and two in another and document my results but I’m not equipped to do a split of the same wort.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 03:16:38 pm »
Maybe one of the groups who conduct beer experiments could brew up a 10 gal batch, split it into two fermenters, pitch one pack of BRY97 into one and two packs into the other and document the results with TILT and verifying FG with good old fashioned finishing hydrometers.

I plan to pitch one pack in one 5 gal batch and two in another and document my results but I’m not equipped to do a split of the same wort.

What if you split one 5 gal batch into two 2.5 gal batches, and used a 1/2 pack in one, and 1 whole pack in another.  You could even just bottle 2 or 3 of each, then combine and keg the remainder, without much fuss.

I say "you", but what I really mean is that *anybody* who is interested could try this experiment.  If anyone does, please report back with results.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.