Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BRY 97  (Read 5353 times)

narvin

Re: BRY 97
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 09:07:54 pm »
Interesting. I like to be at least halfway complete with fermentation in 72 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't disagree... slower fermentations are more likely to finish with a higher FG for me.  It's just that in the case of dry yeast I don't see any correlation between lag time and the speed of the rest of fermentation.

Maybe one of the groups who conduct beer experiments could brew up a 10 gal batch, split it into two fermenters, pitch one pack of BRY97 into one and two packs into the other and document the results with TILT and verifying FG with good old fashioned finishing hydrometers.

I plan to pitch one pack in one 5 gal batch and two in another and document my results but I’m not equipped to do a split of the same wort.

I think sensory analysis should also be a factor.  Pitching rate affects flavor as well as attenuation.

For what it's worth this batch went from around 1.060 to 1.009.  mashed at 152.  If anything I wanted a higher FG but I'm actually very happy with the body.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
BRY 97
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2020, 05:42:07 pm »
Absolutely. The only thing that really matters is the results.

FWIW: I pitched S-04 in my Olde Dog ESB at 11:30. I am seeing activity now. I anticipate it’ll be full on Gatling gun soon.

Edit: S-04 https://youtu.be/6JItYcfj5VM

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:38:19 pm by BrewBama »

Offline jFrode

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2020, 07:05:39 pm »
What is lag time? I guess we often define it as the time when we do not see something happening visually.  That does not mean that the yeast is not doing anything. From what I understand it uses the time to take up nutrients. I am still a proponent of that making a yeast starter can be appropriate even with dry yeast. Not for cost savings, but I have at least some anecdotal examples with Bry-97 that it takes off really fast and strong from the starter. My method of starter is super simple. One package of dry yeast into 4 liters of boiled dme at apx 1.035. Just let it do it’s thing. It might foam over if not on a stir plate. I put the stir plate on a minimum setting. Two days and that’s it. It settles fairly quick so I can decant off most of it. Besides that I think Denny is right. Given the time yeast multiplies it should be a matter of 3-7 hours before 1 package almost equalizes 2 packages. I am wondering if it is the double amount of nutrients per yeast cell so to speak that makes it take longer. Just a thought. Chris White did a podcast on BeerSmith that explained the different phases of the yeasts “lifespan” after pitching. Anyhow, when you get good beer with Bry-97, I think the yeast really contributes to that. My favorite dry strain.

Offline BrewBama

BRY 97
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2020, 08:07:43 am »
Using the Tilt hydrometer, I began to experience what I think you’re describing: ‘blips’ in the log (possibly indicating yeast multiplication activity) without visual airlock activity (indicating CO2 production) at both the beginning and end of fermentation.

Seeing that, I began to define ‘lag time’ as the straight line before the first ‘blip’ or two. My observation does not rely on airlock activity.

I’ve noticed that if I pitch at the higher end of the mfr suggested rate, I see a shorter ‘lag time’ (straight line on the log as I’ve described it above) than if I pitch at a lower rate. It seems others have noted the same thing I have (as cited above).

I also notice a faster fermentation and better AA. Of course, this is anecdotal based on my experience. I used to complain that 34/70 would take 10-14 days to plod along to finish. Now, I am getting 5-7 days however, I am using it just slightly higher (60*F) than the recommended temp range (53-59*F) which probably doesn’t hurt the speed.

I guess I fall into the camp Brülosophy describes in the article I linked to: “Despite the fact tasters were unable to reliably distinguish between the underpitched and overpitched beers, there were some differences. For example, the underpitched batch took nearly 2 days longer to show signs of active fermentation compared to the overpitched batch, which may be viewed by some as reason enough to pitch more yeast...”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 08:51:34 am by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 01:05:20 pm »
Well, I pitched 1 gram per liter Bry97 into  1.057 wort @ 62*F and it is rocking and rolling at 11 hrs lag time.

Not sure if that means anything ...other than Mother Nature is still at work in N AL.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 01:25:41 pm »
Well, I pitched 1 gram per liter Bry97 into  1.057 wort @ 62*F and it is rocking and rolling at 11 hrs lag time.

Not sure if that means anything ...other than Mother Nature is still at work in N AL.

Sounds right.  I know people are reporting long lags with it, but I don't recall seeing that myself.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2020, 08:46:55 pm »
I've got a BRY-97 batch going right now.  Took about 30 hours to start up but she's vigorous, krausen just does not fall even after I believe it's finished.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2020, 08:55:44 pm »
I've got a BRY-97 batch going right now.  Took about 30 hours to start up but she's vigorous, krausen just does not fall even after I believe it's finished.

Thanks for the info. Using this tomorrow in an ipa. What temp did you run it at? I was thinking upper 60s
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:57:19 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2020, 08:57:54 am »
I'm at a constant 68 F for the past 7 days.  I'll test and taste tonight.  Pretty sure it's done.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2020, 08:10:47 am »

Thanks for the info. Using this tomorrow in an ipa. What temp did you run it at? I was thinking upper 60s

Activity within 18 hours @ 66F. Two month expired packet.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2020, 08:14:24 am »

Activity within 18 hours @ 66F. Two month expired packet.

Pretty much my experience too

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2020, 12:06:56 pm »
Really happy with the performance of this yeast for my first use. I could see using this instead of US-05 moving forward.

Gravity down from 1.063 to 1.011 in 7 days which is higher attenuation than I expected. Krausen has dropped and I added dry hops yesterday. After 5 days I will be cold crashing for a couple more days then packaging.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:12:41 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2020, 12:35:03 pm »
Really happy with the performance of this yeast for my first use. I could see using this instead of US-05 moving forward.

Gravity down from 1.063 to 1.011 in 7 days which is higher attenuation than I expected. Krausen has dropped and I added dry hops yesterday. After 5 days I will be cold crashing for a couple more days then packaging.

I gave up on 05 a long time ago, as yoou know.  It was great to rediscover BRY97 as a replacement.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2020, 01:32:11 pm »
+1. I got 78% AA on the APA in post #35 (above).  It’s kegged and cold conditioning/carbonating now.

I may sneak a taste to see how we’re coming along. You know, for research