Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: potental extract for rolled oats and rye malt?  (Read 5518 times)

Offline jdurose

• 1st Kit
potental extract for rolled oats and rye malt?
« on: August 24, 2010, 05:58:10 pm »
I've been searching for the potential extract values of rye malt and rolled oats and have found limited resources on the web.  I don't use any software to calculate my recipes, I've just created my own spread sheet using average potential extract values I've found in brewing books and I usually hit my target gravity right on with my all malt beers.

Has anyone found reliable potential extract values for rye or rolled oats, or know if the potential extract simply varies greatly from batch to batch with these grains?
Jenny DuRose
QUality Ale and Fermentation Fraternity (QUAFF)
San Diego, CA

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: potental extract for rolled oats and rye malt?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 06:57:02 pm »
Beersmith uses 29 ppg for the Rye Malt and 37 ppg for Flaked Oats, which I would think would be about the same as rolled Oats.  I haven't used Oats in a brew so can't confirm that one with practical experience but the Rye Malt potential seems accurate.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:36:57 pm »
ProMash uses 30 ppg for Rye Malt and 33 ppg for Flaked Oats.  I stopped using ProMash a while ago, so I can't speak to the accuracy of the numbers.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 07:07:43 am »
Beersmith uses 29 ppg for the Rye Malt and 37 ppg for Flaked Oats, which I would think would be about the same as rolled Oats.  I haven't used Oats in a brew so can't confirm that one with practical experience but the Rye Malt potential seems accurate.

I've used Rye Malt and Oats and when I have, I've come pretty close to the numbers predicted by the Beersmith calculations (using those default values).  Granted, the Oats have only been a little over a pound so it would be hard to tell but the Rye has been up to half the grist so that one should be pretty accurate.
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 09:58:01 am »
ProMash uses 30 ppg for Rye Malt and 33 ppg for Flaked Oats.  I stopped using ProMash a while ago, so I can't speak to the accuracy of the numbers.

That's right on the money for rye malt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell