Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When life gives you lemons...  (Read 899 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
When life gives you lemons...
« on: January 24, 2020, 12:46:33 pm »
...make a Radler.

I recently brewed a beer that, according to my taste buds, was one brick shy of a load. I’ve been wanting to make a Randall for a while now so took the opportunity to try to improve this wallflower of a beer.

I took a cartridge filter housing, piece of silicone tubing, a square of stainless wire fabric, a picnic tap and presto chango my Randall:

I stuffed it with lemons and ran the beer thru it.

The beer ended up with some ‘floaties’ in it but I image that should be expected when running it thru lemons. The resulting pint was pretty darn good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 03:25:22 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: When life gives you lemons...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 01:33:01 pm »
Pretty cool, do you run off a bit before pouring a pint? Or is this just a festival/one day only kind of thing?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
When life gives you lemons...
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 01:44:20 pm »
I dunno. I did it to ‘fix’ an otherwise dumper of a beer. Not sure how long the lemons will last or if the beer in the cartridge will be waste or not. ...but I’ll find out soon enough. It’s probably just as easy to throw a lemon in a glass vs this contraption. LOL

I did get the idea from a guy at last year’s local Homebrew fest. His beer was 10x better than this one. He ran it thru lemons like this to serve.  So, I thought what the heck. It might make mine an OK beer. ...which it did.

I’m on my second pint now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:49:19 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 01:58:03 pm »
According to my understanding, that's not a rather, but who cares?  You managed to sv3 a batch and make something you enjoy.  Good job!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 06:32:53 am »
Good job BrewBama!  I saw a guy do that at a beer festival a few years ago.  However, he used his own brew through fresh hops in the filter housing.  We didn’t care for the finished product - in fact we dumped it.  But I thought it was a terrific idea!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉