Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: storing yeast slurry on cheap store bought beer instead of precious homebrew  (Read 993 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
Storing yeast on beer seems to be recommended over rinsing and storing in water, my question is can i use a cheap store bought say "schaffer" 6 dollar 12 pack beer for that purpose, i really don't like leaving behind homebrew for yeast storage if i don't have to, just a thought i had and wondering if this is something people do or why its a terrible idea, cheers
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Storing yeast on beer seems to be recommended over rinsing and storing in water, my question is can i use a cheap store bought say "schaffer" 6 dollar 12 pack beer for that purpose, i really don't like leaving behind homebrew for yeast storage if i don't have to, just a thought i had and wondering if this is something people do or why its a terrible idea, cheers
Only if you are not embarrassed to be seen buying it, otherwise it's a great idea.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
Only if you are not embarrassed to be seen buying it, otherwise it's a great idea.

i'll just wear a trench coat and a fake nose when i go pick it up, i don't think people will notice  ;) cheers
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
No reason why not. I doubt the slurry would know the difference.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
When I rack the beer there’s always a good quarter inch of beer left on top.  I’ve stored the yeast in mason jars for weeks with no apparent issues under the beer.  I’d say sacrifice a little home brew for the next generation.

Now, many years ago some of my pals and I did a blind test taste of cheap beer and Schaffer won hands down. I think it was “the one beer to have when you’re having more than one”.  We call that a session beer now, but that’s not what they meant in the 70’s!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
I find that there is enough beer mixed in with the slurry that rises to the top.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Now, many years ago some of my pals and I did a blind test taste of cheap beer and Schaffer won hands down. I think it was “the one beer to have when you’re having more than one”.  We call that a session beer now, but that’s not what they meant in the 70’s!
Back in 1975 I worked at the Schaffer brewery in Fogelsville, PA for a couple of weeks as a temp. I think it's now owned by Sam Adams.
There was a guy who job was to keep the breakroom cooler filled. Almost everyone had some on both breaks and at lunch. A few guys stopped at the breakroom after work to have some instead of stopping at a bar on the way home.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
That's what I do if I can.  Sometimes I have extra of what I've made and am kegging, and just use the same flat fresh homebrew.  Whatever seems best at the time.  I don't top crop much anymore, just harvest the slurry at the bottom of my buckets after racking the new beer to kegs.