Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cheap method or construction to keep relatively stable/cool fermentation temp  (Read 998 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
So, I'm a long time homebrewer, but changed countries and so have recently rebought all new brewing stuff.

i started homebrewing to save money and make good beer, continue to do it with an eye on the bottom line.

I have a basement fermentation space which unfortunately stays around 70F right now and a garage that ranges from 48-55 depending on the weather outside. Garage has a W34 bock going right now and so far tastes great (did 3days indoors diacetyl rest which went nuts at the 68F at that time)

-The big question

I want to stabilize the ferm temp just so it doesnt bounce around, and ideally lower it by a few degrees.

I would really prefer not to use the water bath + aquarium heater as 1. i don't think it would be stable especially in warmer months (disagree and i will listen) 2. i don't have the space permanently, so no "cheap" used fridge ($$ in electricity and not cheap where i am). 3. don't have a big enough plastic tub or bucket ($$$)

An idea I've had for quite a while is along the lines of an insulated box with removable lid and using 2 computer fans, one at the top of one wall of the box, the other at the bottom pushing in cooler air. Perhaps attaching this to a temp controller if possible?

Does anyone have any variation on this or recommendations? or alternate recommendations under 50 bucks?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Maybe consider using the insulated box and add frozen water bottles that are then swapped out from time to time.  The fans could help, but are unnecessary for my simple approach.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
Since you have a space that is 48-55 I would just use the with cheap seedling mat, and a cheap temp controller to keep it stable. That can be done in under $50 in the U.S. anyway.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
thanks for the reply. i used that method in a hotter country in springtime there. i found it gave inconsistent results and was also time and effort consuming. condensation ends up forming and it gets wet inside the container.

i think my temps themsleves are mostly okay, looking to improve my temp stability.

im goi g to try to do some research on the fan layout i mean and ser if i can post a concept here to clarify.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Since you have a space that is 48-55 I would just use the with cheap seedling mat, and a cheap temp controller to keep it stable. That can be done in under $50 in the U.S. anyway.

excellent. thanks very much i did not know about that kind of equipment. that is definitely viable to use with a homemade insulated container

Offline Black Lion Homebrewery

• Cellarman
Build the insulated box, line it with a tarp or sheet of plastic and fill it with water. If you're in an area of the country with any livestock production, look for a stock tank (cattle water tanks).  The smaller plastic ones are usually fairly affordable. 

If you need it cooler than swap out frozen bottles.  I use a square cooler and can easily keep lagering temps (48-52F) with ice swap every 12 hrs, ale temps (64-66F) once a day during the summer. 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma

excellent. thanks very much i did not know about that kind of equipment. that is definitely viable to use with a homemade insulated container
I think that between the seedling mat, the insulated container, and the heat generated by fermentation you will be in a good temp range. If the area is drafty and prone to sudden temperature drops an additional layer of insulation, like an old blanket, will be helpful. Also, don’t put it directly on the floor, either put it on a table or put a piece of insulation between the floor and seedling mat. The mat only gives off a little heat, but enough in this case if not competing with a cold floor.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.