Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oatmeal Stout  (Read 1799 times)

Offline John Joe McCoy

• 1st Kit
Oatmeal Stout
« on: January 29, 2020, 05:31:28 pm »
Hi Folks,

First time poster here. Have been brewing for the past few months but I wouldn't mind some feedback on a Oatmeal Stout that I was thinking of submitting to the National Homebrew Comp.

Recipe:
Method: BIAB
Size: 3 gallons
IBU 34.1

2 Row 70.3%
Flaked Oats 9.4
Chocolate Malt 4.7
Pale Chocolate Malt 4.7
Flaked Barley 3.9
Patent Malt 3.9
Crystal Malt 80 L 3.1
OG: 1.052

Mash at 154, single infusion.
Hops: East Kent Goldings: 1.2 oz for 60 mins
Yeast: Imperial Yeast Darkness A10

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Oatmeal Stout
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 06:25:56 pm »
No roast barley?
I like to use blackprinz in place of roast barley in oatmeal and cream stouts.
Lots of people equate chocolate and (black?) patent malts with porter.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 07:32:46 pm »
Kristen England’s Sierra Nevada Stout ‘clone’ uses Black Patent vs Roast Barley.  Is Roast Barley required in a Stout? Who knows

I love his opening line in the article he wrote about Black Patent: “If there ever was a malt equivalent of the crazy uncle that lives under the stairs, black malt (also called black patent malt) would be it.”

https://byo.com/article/back-in-black-the-truth-about-black-patent-malt/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline John Joe McCoy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 08:08:53 pm »
No roast barley?

Thank you for the feedback! I guess I could add some roasted barley to add some more bitterness to complement the sweetness of the crystal .

I think i will remove the black malt, and maybe up the chocolate %. I was adding the black malt to increase the SRM slightly.

Offline John Joe McCoy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 08:11:56 pm »
Kristen England’s Sierra Nevada Stout ‘clone’ uses Black Patent vs Roast Barley.  Is Roast Barley required in a Stout? Who knows

I love his opening line in the article he wrote about Black Patent: “If there ever was a malt equivalent of the crazy uncle that lives under the stairs, black malt (also called black patent malt) would be it.”

https://byo.com/article/back-in-black-the-truth-about-black-patent-malt/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link! There doesnt seem to be a consensus on using black malt in stouts. Some people use them and some dont. I've seen previous winning recipes that have used black malt in stouts.... so who knows!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 04:51:09 am »
Have you brewed the recipe you posted? Since you are considering entering it in competition I assumed it was a brew you made and thought highly of. Either way it seems in the ballpark of a solid oatmeal stout. I would brew it then carefully compare it to a highly regarded commercial example, preferably one you can find out the grist for, you can look up what is considered a good example of the style. Take notes and if you feel it’s lacking in any qualities like mouthfeel, color, roastiness etc. adjust from there, maybe ask questions here about best ways to get from point a to point b. It’s a great way to learn about ingredients at the experiential vs theoretical level. Have fun!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 07:16:40 am »
Is Roast Barley required in a Stout? Who knows

I love this question.

I would say:
In an Irish Stout...definitely.
In an Oatmeal Stout...dealer's choice. 

But less % roast in an Oatmeal Stout vs. Irish Stout.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 08:32:43 am »
There is an interesting read on roasted barley and Guinness from Ron Pattinson. The short synopsis is this: Before 1880 unmalted grain was illegal for brewers to use. There was some debate in the comments of that article whether that included Ireland but it seems that it did (Beer Nut). Ron did finally find a written passage listing the general grist of Guinness in 1972 and again in 1983 (Royal Park Brewery, London) that states 9-10% roasted barley was used. Again there was debate in the comments as to whether the Royal Park and the St. James Brewery brewed to the same standards and again it seems they did (Zythophile).

Here is Ron's post: https://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2007/11/guinness-and-roast-barley.html
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 09:54:33 am »
I would swap out the flaked barley and use all flaked oats, swap the pale chocolate for regular chocolate, and swap the patent for RB. Just me...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 10:44:51 am »
I would swap out the flaked barley and use all flaked oats, swap the pale chocolate for regular chocolate, and swap the patent for RB. Just me...

Agreed on all
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 08:53:33 pm »
tie me up and whip me but i used golden naked oats after reading so many glowingly positive reviews of it in my last oatmeal stout.

10% golden naked oats (some sort of crystal oat malt)
8% flaked oats

it had this weird musty taste which has only finally after 2 months bottled really settled into something palatable. i've used flaked oats alone many times before so i have to pin it on the golden naked oats. and in fact innis % gunn lager uses that and it has the same taste.

do not use golden naked oats imho.

btw my gold standard for an oatmeal stout is mcauslan oatmeal stout

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 03:48:27 am »
No roast barley?

Not all stouts are Dublin stouts - and oatmeal stouts in particular are more of an English/Scottish thing, so I'd argue that if anything roast barley should be avoided in oatmeal stouts. And yes, London stouts have a lot in common with porters, having originally been partigyled with them...