Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to get beer home  (Read 1409 times)

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
How to get beer home
« on: January 15, 2020, 07:11:59 pm »
How does everyone get beer back with them from a trip?  I want to bring some beer back from a trip to Europe but I'm curious on the best way.  I would like to get 2 cases of Westvlerten beer back if possible.  I understand if that isn't really possible but would like to bring at least a 12 pack back.

Is it better to just ship it or check it on the plane?   I'm guessing at this quantity I might be better off shipping.  I've brought a few bottles in checked planes before with no problem but this would be different.

I hear these wine checks work well for 750ml bottles but it seems like not the cheapest route.
https://thewinecheck.com/

Has anyone just bought a new cheap suitcase when they reached their destination and then some bubble wrap and loaded the suitcase up?  Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

I found this old post but its like 10 years old now...
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=231.15

Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: How to get beer home
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 08:23:04 pm »
I have brought at least 12 back in my luggage, or split with the wife's luggage. Declare it on the entry form. They can choose to charge duty, or not. I have never had to pay duty.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 08:07:28 am »
I bought a bunch of Westvleteren and just drank it there!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 08:20:15 am »
Lately I have not been sending any beer home after my travels, preferring to just soak in all the beer and culture while "on holiday" like Denny.
I used to send it home in packages or in checked luggage without much of a problem.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ulander6206

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 09:05:50 am »
We have brought beer back from all kinds of places. The greatest concern is breakage. My wife wraps each bottle in newspaper as a cushion. She then puts the  pack in a plastic bag to catch any broken glass or leaking liquid. We've rarely had a problem with this method.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 05:24:06 pm »
Bring ziplocks and some bubble wrap. Make sure the bottles cannot contact one another by cushioning with clothing if bubble wrap is not available. If one does break the ziplock will capture the leak. I seal the bottle in the ziplock and then use the bubble wrap. Lately I only bring home bottles which are special to me. Otherwise I drink them there and simply enjoy.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline BJohns

• 1st Kit
    • Home Brewing and Draft Beer Equipment
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 09:28:46 am »
I mostly use bubble wrap for protecting bottles in luggage, but I forgot to buy it once, so I used towels and clothes :D