Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Black I.P.A" recipe  (Read 9801 times)

Offline dbohn

• 1st Kit
"Black I.P.A" recipe
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:52:56 pm »
In both of the Cascadian Dark Ale recipe in the July / August issue of Zymurgy, they both say to drain after steeping at 150 degrees. This is the first batch that I have seen "drain". Usually it's sparge at 168-170 degrees. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Dbohn

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: "Black I.P.A" recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:50:06 pm »
My first thought was, "What, did Denny write the article?"  But no, it's Ted Hausotter, and I'm pretty sure he fly sparges.

Anyway, those directions both appear in the extract version of the recipes, not in the all-grain.  So if you're an all-grain brewer, disregard, mash at 151F and sparge as normal.

If you're an extract brewer using steeping grains (and the question IS in the extract/partial mash section), then you just drain the liquid from the bag of grains.  You can rinse the grains to get more sugar/color out, but it's not strictly necessary.

<edited for clarity>
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:53:09 pm by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:57:55 am »
I might have added those directions. I don't remember. I often have to add extract versions of all-grain recipes if brewers don't submit them. Along with adding metric conversions and checking that the recipe matches the specs provided. Which might include calculating their assumed efficiency and posting it.

If that was what I wrote, then I'm assuming you steep your grains and then drain them, then add extract, stir it, and raise the whole thing to a boil. "Sparging" your little bag of grains isn't going to get you much, so I don't usually include that step. The steeping water can be anywhere between 150 and 170 F but I normally say 155.

If any extract brewers have feedback on how I provide those conversions, I'd be happy to hear them.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline dbohn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:58:07 pm »
Sweet! Thank you both for the helpful advice. Can't wait to brew it this weekend!!!

Oh, one more question. I'm having trouble finding a local Homebrew supply store with Alexander's LME. Can I use a substitute?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:06:07 pm by dbohn »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:24:12 pm »
That I can't help you with, I haven't used LME in forever.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dbohn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 10:32:51 pm »
Ouch. I'm so close to the all grain system. This is most likely the last batch and then on my way to malt freedom!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 09:41:48 am »
Oh, one more question. I'm having trouble finding a local Homebrew supply store with Alexander's LME. Can I use a substitute?

Yes, you certainly can.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:17:05 am »

Yes, you certainly can.
Dur.  Of course you can!  I misread it and thought he was looking for a recommendation on a substitute.  My bad.   :-[

Thanks Denny.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 05:26:48 pm »

If your LHBS has a Labor day sale or something on one, thats the one you want. it'l be OK.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:45:08 pm by dbeechum »

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 03:51:43 pm »
FWIW- As an extract brewer I believe that rinsing ("sparging") the steeped grains in a given recipe with ~170F water is indeed beneficial. Since I have stuck to this practice I have made better beers. This practice was also reiterated by an award winning extract brewer at this year's AHA Conference. A rinse with 3 qts.170F water is standard. You may also want to pour the wort collected from your steep through the grains, whether in a grain bag or through a strainer- or both- into your brew kettle. The benefits of this will vary, I believe, on the amount of grains you are steeping or partial-mashing.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 04:17:30 pm »
This practice was also reiterated by an award winning extract brewer at this year's AHA Conference.
Yeah, but Tanner doesn't know anything!

Just kidding, I missed his talk but he told me he mentioned brewing with an old mystery can of malt extract.  I'm the one who gave it to him :)  I have a bottle of that batch sitting in my fridge, it's surprisingly good all things considered.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline erikscott

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 12:52:18 pm »
FWIW- As an extract brewer I believe that rinsing ("sparging") the steeped grains in a given recipe with ~170F water is indeed beneficial. Since I have stuck to this practice I have made better beers. This practice was also reiterated by an award winning extract brewer at this year's AHA Conference. A rinse with 3 qts.170F water is standard. You may also want to pour the wort collected from your steep through the grains, whether in a grain bag or through a strainer- or both- into your brew kettle. The benefits of this will vary, I believe, on the amount of grains you are steeping or partial-mashing.

How careful are you about splashing during the grain rinse?  My practice drifted as the size of the partial mash got larger [usually 1-2 lbs of pale/base + a pound or so of specialty] and I wasn't all that careful, such that the "sparge" or rinse water falls several inches into the kettle.  Lately I've been wondering if hot side aeration might be affecting my beer.

So, curious how you rinse your grains.
Thanks!

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 04:10:49 pm »
I've thought about hot-side aeration as well. It doesn't seem to be an issue. I use a 4 gallon pot for steeping, resting the bag of grains in a strainer over the pot to rinse. I have a 2 burner stand. I heat up my "sparge" water in my brew kettle next to my steeping pot. I rinse with 3 qts. 170F water, then I transfer the strainer w/ grain bag over the brew kettle. I then pour the steeping pot contents through the bag/strainer into the boil kettle, leaving behind any solid material in the steeping pot.
So it drops maybe 3-6 inches inches max.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 07:20:59 am »

Yes, you certainly can.

I've had good luck with the Briess LMEs.  Purchased online from one of the major suppliers, these seem to be pretty fresh.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch