Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trying out great western brumalt  (Read 3101 times)

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Trying out great western brumalt
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:13:58 am »
I recently acquired some g w brumalt to try out.
I'm probably going to do a pale mild/ordinary bitter kind of beer.
2 gallons
1.5 lbs golden light dme
8 ozs maris otter
6-8 ozs brumalt
maybe a little victory and/or oatmeal
15-20 IBUs EKG
S-189
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Trying out great western brumalt
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 10:56:06 am »
Went with 2 lbs light dme, 8.5 ozs maris otter, 6 ozs brumalt, 1 oz victory, and 1 oz pale chocolate.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 02:35:55 pm »
Took a gravity reading after eight days. It went from 1.040 to 1.009, it's fairly clear already and the hydrometer sample tasted pretty good.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 02:41:51 pm »
Took a gravity reading after eight days. It went from 1.040 to 1.009, it's fairly clear already and the hydrometer sample tasted pretty good.

Did you get any tangy/tart kind of flavor?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 06:12:08 pm »

Did you get any tangy/tart kind of flavor?
No. I got a mildly sweet flavor, not too different than when I used crystal malt in the recipe. I plan to bottle at about the two week mark and am anxious to taste it carbed.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 06:01:23 pm »
You’d have to be a pretty good taster to find a tangy/tart flavor from 6 oz of GW behind the dme, maris otter, victory, and pale chocolate.. don’t you think?

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 11:25:36 am »
You’d have to be a pretty good taster to find a tangy/tart flavor from 6 oz of GW behind the dme, maris otter, victory, and pale chocolate.. don’t you think?
Maybe, but with close to 11% being the brumalt it should be noticeable unless it's REALLY subtle. I don't get any, and my wife, who's much better at tasting, doesn't either.
 It's possible I may get more from it once it's carbed.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 11:35:18 am »
Maybe, but with close to 11% being the brumalt it should be noticeable unless it's REALLY subtle. I don't get any, and my wife, who's much better at tasting, doesn't either.

I thought maybe I got it, but it was so low I can't be sure it wasn't confirmation bias

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 03:01:08 pm »

I thought maybe I got it, but it was so low I can't be sure it wasn't confirmation bias
Maybe it takes a lot more than 10-11% to get it. Which works for me as I will use it again, but most likely no larger an amount than 10%.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 11:42:19 am »

Maybe it takes a lot more than 10-11% to get it. Which works for me as I will use it again, but most likely no larger an amount than 10%.
I had some after it carbed. The carbonation took a little bit of the edge off the sweetness to make it well balanced. I definitely get a bit of honey-like flavor and no tartness.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 12:15:41 pm »

I had some after it carbed. The carbonation took a little bit of the edge off the sweetness to make it well balanced. I definitely get a bit of honey-like flavor and no tartness.

Drew and I discussed your beer for the podcast coming up Wed.  We both agreed that we didn't detect any tartness, either.

www.dennybrew.com

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 03:21:19 pm »

Drew and I discussed your beer for the podcast coming up Wed.  We both agreed that we didn't detect any tartness, either.

Cool, my 15 minutes begins Wednesday.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 03:35:04 pm »

Experimental 114?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 03:45:50 pm »

Experimental 114?

Yep.  Today's episode...in the brewery section

www.dennybrew.com

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 01:18:55 pm »
Where can you purchase Great Western Brumalt? I have not found a source yet.