Author Topic: Trying out great western brumalt  (Read 249 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Trying out great western brumalt
« on: February 02, 2020, 06:13:58 PM »
I recently acquired some g w brumalt to try out.
I'm probably going to do a pale mild/ordinary bitter kind of beer.
2 gallons
1.5 lbs golden light dme
8 ozs maris otter
6-8 ozs brumalt
maybe a little victory and/or oatmeal
15-20 IBUs EKG
S-189
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Trying out great western brumalt
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 05:56:06 PM »
Went with 2 lbs light dme, 8.5 ozs maris otter, 6 ozs brumalt, 1 oz victory, and 1 oz pale chocolate.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 09:35:55 PM »
Took a gravity reading after eight days. It went from 1.040 to 1.009, it's fairly clear already and the hydrometer sample tasted pretty good.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 09:41:51 PM »
Took a gravity reading after eight days. It went from 1.040 to 1.009, it's fairly clear already and the hydrometer sample tasted pretty good.

Did you get any tangy/tart kind of flavor?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 01:12:08 AM »

Did you get any tangy/tart kind of flavor?
No. I got a mildly sweet flavor, not too different than when I used crystal malt in the recipe. I plan to bottle at about the two week mark and am anxious to taste it carbed.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 01:01:23 AM »
You’d have to be a pretty good taster to find a tangy/tart flavor from 6 oz of GW behind the dme, maris otter, victory, and pale chocolate.. don’t you think?

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 06:25:36 PM »
You’d have to be a pretty good taster to find a tangy/tart flavor from 6 oz of GW behind the dme, maris otter, victory, and pale chocolate.. don’t you think?
Maybe, but with close to 11% being the brumalt it should be noticeable unless it's REALLY subtle. I don't get any, and my wife, who's much better at tasting, doesn't either.
 It's possible I may get more from it once it's carbed.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 06:35:18 PM »
Maybe, but with close to 11% being the brumalt it should be noticeable unless it's REALLY subtle. I don't get any, and my wife, who's much better at tasting, doesn't either.

I thought maybe I got it, but it was so low I can't be sure it wasn't confirmation bias
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 10:01:08 PM »

I thought maybe I got it, but it was so low I can't be sure it wasn't confirmation bias
Maybe it takes a lot more than 10-11% to get it. Which works for me as I will use it again, but most likely no larger an amount than 10%.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women