Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Step Infusion vs. Triple Decoction  (Read 2688 times)

Online dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Step Infusion vs. Triple Decoction
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 10:34:51 am »
I think any brewer interested in decoction should try it at least once and make up their own mind.
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 10:42:14 am »
I think any brewer interested in decoction should try it at least once and make up their own mind.

THIS^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 11:28:54 am »

THIS^^^^

Absolutely.  Try it numerous times.  I'll still try it once in a while, because it's "fun".  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 01:35:11 pm »
Having been to both Frankfurt and Amsterdam 3 to 4 times a month for the last 15 years, and certainly drank more than my share of Heineken, what mash technique do they employ? I'm guessing a single infusion, as the beer does not have the character of the German/Czech beers that I'm familiar with.

How about the Belgian breweries? What do they do?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 01:55:34 pm »
Having been to both Frankfurt and Amsterdam 3 to 4 times a month for the last 15 years, and certainly drank more than my share of Heineken, what mash technique do they employ? I'm guessing a single infusion, as the beer does not have the character of the German/Czech beers that I'm familiar with.

There are many Belgian breweries making beers of different styles. Most of the beers consumed are international lagers like Stella, Jupiler, and Maes. "Brew Like a Monk" by Stan Hieronymus has the information on how they brew.

Frankfurt and Amsterdam 3 times a month, are you. Pilot?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 02:15:28 pm »

Yes. B-777.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2020, 06:49:16 pm »

Yes. B-777.

Cool. Enjoy your time there. Do you have long enough layovers to explore German Beers that don't make it to Frankfurt? Köln and Düsseldorf are Not far by ICE trains. My favorite by far is Bamberg, smoked beer and so much more.

Edit we had a guy I remember here a long time ago named Oscar (I think). He called himself the Bus driver. It was an Airbus going to Europe. I liked his style.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 06:55:41 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2020, 07:13:52 pm »

Yes. B-777.

Cool. Enjoy your time there. Do you have long enough layovers to explore German Beers that don't make it to Frankfurt? Köln and Düsseldorf are Not far by ICE trains. My favorite by far is Bamberg, smoked beer and so much more.

Edit we had a guy I remember here a long time ago named Oscar (I think). He called himself the Bus driver. It was an Airbus going to Europe. I liked his style.

Only about 26 hours. Not enough time to really explore. But my wife and I vacation there frequently, and try different beers. Big difference in Frankfurt beer vs. Bavarian beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2020, 08:58:26 pm »
When I went to work in Hesse, one Engineer from Ingolstadt Bayern claimed the local beer wash dishwater. Then I had a Binding and understood.

We love Franken, especially Bamberg. The rest of Bavaria is worth exploring.

Have fun. Visit breweries. Ask questions. Eat and drink like a local. It is worth it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2020, 09:11:38 pm »
Back on topic. If you decoct, a pH in the 5.5-5.6 range might be beneficial in getting the Malliard reactions you want.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 05:35:58 am »
We toured the Hofbrau Brewery in Munich last month. It was an extensive tour, with tastings midway through of unfiltered, unpasteurized beer right off the line. Very, very good.

I just heard back from the brewery this morning...

"We use Pilsen malt, light beer is brewed using an infusion process. Depending on the type of beer, the cooking/boiling time is between 2 and 4 hours.

The grains are crushed in a hammer mill and are delivered to us after processing in the mill.

In infusion processes (like our light beer), the entire contents are heated in the brew kettle."

Perhaps this is why my friends and I actually prefer Pilsner Urquell.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 07:33:44 am by Myron Oleson »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 07:55:50 am »
We toured the Hofbrau Brewery in Munich last month. It was an extensive tour, with tastings midway through of unfiltered, unpasteurized beer right off the line. Very, very good.

"We use Pilsen malt, light beer is brewed using an infusion process. Depending on the type of beer, the cooking/boiling time is between 2 and 4 hours.

The grains are crushed in a hammer mill and are delivered to us after processing in the mill.

In infusion processes (like our light beer), the entire contents are heated in the brew kettle."

Or perhaps it's confirmation bias. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 08:54:27 am »

Or perhaps it's confirmation bias.

Perhaps. Just like in ground school they teach us about "expectation bias".
But my personal preference has always been for Czech beers. And yes, this confirms my preference!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 09:02:53 am »

Did they have a mash filter?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild