Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Czech Pilsner Question...  (Read 7029 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: Czech Pilsner Question...
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2020, 08:57:16 am »
I'm not too proud to drink an American macro-swill.  There is a time and place for everything.  I happen to dislike Bud Light enough to not drink it unless ordered to by a gun-wielding thug but otherwise a Coors or Miller Lite doesn't have to be punishment.

Fortunately for most of us, our choices are far more varied in most commercial bars / pubs.

Actually, Coors is not a "bad" beer. It is exactly what they used to claim...America's Fine Light Beer. At one time, Coors achieved cult like status. We would buy it in Kansas and smuggle it to Iowa. I do have respect for the majors, as they produce the exact same product day in and day out. As home brewers, we all can appreciate the challenges in making the next brew taste EXACTLY like the previous brew.

Back on topic: We have our first brew in over 10 years (Yippee!) getting ready to be kegged in about 4 days. It's a Czech Pils. I will have a full report. And yes, we did a very labor intensive triple decoction mash!

Cult status may be a bit of an understatement, in 1975 my brother and I did the great American road trip thing and visited some relatives in S.E. Georgia. The 1st thing our uncle asked us when we arrived was how much Coors did we bring with us, he insisted he could get $25 a case for it while we could buy it at home in Golden for ~$3 a case. If only we'd known of the entrepreneurial opportunity before we left home!
   I can tolerate regular strength American bladder wash but I'd rather drink warm ditch water than ANY light beer.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2020, 09:10:54 am »
I'm not too proud to drink an American macro-swill.  There is a time and place for everything.  I happen to dislike Bud Light enough to not drink it unless ordered to by a gun-wielding thug but otherwise a Coors or Miller Lite doesn't have to be punishment.

Fortunately for most of us, our choices are far more varied in most commercial bars / pubs.

Actually, Coors is not a "bad" beer. It is exactly what they used to claim...America's Fine Light Beer. At one time, Coors achieved cult like status. We would buy it in Kansas and smuggle it to Iowa. I do have respect for the majors, as they produce the exact same product day in and day out. As home brewers, we all can appreciate the challenges in making the next brew taste EXACTLY like the previous brew.

Back on topic: We have our first brew in over 10 years (Yippee!) getting ready to be kegged in about 4 days. It's a Czech Pils. I will have a full report. And yes, we did a very labor intensive triple decoction mash!

Cult status may be a bit of an understatement, in 1975 my brother and I did the great American road trip thing and visited some relatives in S.E. Georgia. The 1st thing our uncle asked us when we arrived was how much Coors did we bring with us, he insisted he could get $25 a case for it while we could buy it at home in Golden for ~$3 a case. If only we'd known of the entrepreneurial opportunity before we left home!
   I can tolerate regular strength American bladder wash but I'd rather drink warm ditch water than ANY light beer.
Same year or so, saw to guys I went to college with when they came back from CO. The Coors thing came up. They said that they were always asked to bring Strohs back to CO.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2020, 09:52:33 am »
The trick to some of this is to drink whatever questionable beer we're referring to FIRST.  Don't have a Pilsner Urquell and then try a Miller High Life.  :D  I was at the Hangout Fest in Gulf Shores one year and they had Stella Artois and Goose Island 312.  I had both over the course of the weekend and eventually found myself watching The Killers on the beach and ran to one of the beer stands.  No Stella.  No 312.  "What *DO* you have?".  Bud Light.  I may have taken leave of my faculties because I bought one.  I zig-zagged through the crowd back to my wife and she winced when she saw what I had.  I took one sip, made a face, put it down and never picked it back up.  Egad, I don't understand how people drink it. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2020, 11:32:41 am »

"Warm Ditch Water". Sounds like a good name for a rock band.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2020, 12:18:26 pm »

When it comes to light beer, I'm with you. But in a pinch, a Coors Original, Miller High Life, or Budweiser can be tolerated. And that is only if nothing else is available.
Two things you will never find in my house...any "light" beer, and decaf coffee.

There is a reason you don't find light beer in Germany, Amsterdam, Belgium, etc.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2020, 12:19:32 pm »

[/quote]
or a feminine hygiene product...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2020, 12:53:13 pm »

When it comes to light beer, I'm with you. But in a pinch, a Coors Original, Miller High Life, or Budweiser can be tolerated. And that is only if nothing else is available.
Two things you will never find in my house...any "light" beer, and decaf coffee.

There is a reason you don't find light beer in Germany, Amsterdam, Belgium, etc.

I saw lite beer in both Amsterdam and Belgium
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2020, 03:32:21 pm »

or a feminine hygiene product...
[/quote]
EWWWWWWWWWW!
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2020, 05:52:43 pm »

I saw lite beer in both Amsterdam and Belgium

I guess we patronized different bars. There is no light beer...i.e., Coors Light, or Bitburger Light, or Heineken Light, or even Amstel Light in any of the places that we frequented.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Czech Pilsner Question...
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2020, 11:17:12 am »

Found a good article HERE which *does* say that hops are not added after 30 minutes but that's just one brewery.  Still... nice article.
This quote from that article has interested me; “Later on, I asked Rail about it again: Where did the caramel come from? It turned out that he had learned the answer years before, but had agreed not to divulge it. For some reason, Mr. Hlavsa was willing to let the cat out of the bag now. The exchange between the two went on for a minute and then Evan turned to the group and said, “They add caramel malt.””

I have a Czech Pils brewday upcoming so may add some Carahell/C10. I also plan Sterling and Kazbek hops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 11:28:12 am by BrewBama »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2020, 08:03:24 am »

Found a good article HERE which *does* say that hops are not added after 30 minutes but that's just one brewery.  Still... nice article.
This quote from that article has interested me; “Later on, I asked Rail about it again: Where did the caramel come from? It turned out that he had learned the answer years before, but had agreed not to divulge it. For some reason, Mr. Hlavsa was willing to let the cat out of the bag now. The exchange between the two went on for a minute and then Evan turned to the group and said, “They add caramel malt.””

I have a Czech Pils brewday upcoming so may add some Carahell/C10. I also plan Sterling and Kazbek hops.

I thought that article was very good and very interesting.  The truth is that as beer drinkers, we may find ourselves in front of a delicious glass of beer, properly made in a traditional way but as brewers we have no real idea what ingredients (or processes) were used in that beer.  I always thought that Czech pale beers had a bit more color than other pale lagers and I assumed that some Munich 2 might be in place or else maybe they decoct the living bejesus out of the beer or hell... maybe it's oxidation.  That article brought a number of things to light.  Cheers.

EDIT:  I have also used a grist of 50/50 Golden Promise/Pilsner with maybe 6 ounces of CaraHell (in 5 gallons) to get some extra depth and color.  I just kicked a keg of pilsner (picture in the beer pic thread) made that way.  I was really happy with how that beer came out.  Untraditional?  Sure.  Delicious?  Yes.   :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:05:22 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2020, 01:07:47 pm »

I thought that article was very good and very interesting.  The truth is that as beer drinkers, we may find ourselves in front of a delicious glass of beer, properly made in a traditional way but as brewers we have no real idea what ingredients (or processes) were used in that beer.  I always thought that Czech pale beers had a bit more color than other pale lagers and I assumed that some Munich 2 might be in place or else maybe they decoct the living bejesus out of the beer or hell... maybe it's oxidation.  That article brought a number of things to light.  Cheers.

EDIT:  I have also used a grist of 50/50 Golden Promise/Pilsner with maybe 6 ounces of CaraHell (in 5 gallons) to get some extra depth and color.  I just kicked a keg of pilsner (picture in the beer pic thread) made that way.  I was really happy with how that beer came out.  Untraditional?  Sure.  Delicious?  Yes.   :D

We don't get the malt PU uses, they malt in house to their specs. It tasted nutty on the tour, so it is a little darker. They decoct. They also use direct heat copper kettles, so that gives some color. Strohs was always a little darker, as they used direct fired copper kettles long after that was out of fashion.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!