Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt barley variety question  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Malt barley variety question
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 11:34:38 am »
In the UK, Crisp has been taking the lead on resurrecting old barley varieties - there's now a reasonable amount of Chevallier being produced, and last year they produced 14t of Hana which has made some delicious commercial beers so I suspect they'll be doing more of it. I'm not sure how much made it into the homebrew supply chain, other than the tonne that went to the Malt Miller (no affiliation).

But it may be worth asking any retailers who deal with Crisp Stateside whether they can get their hands on any.
Hop Craft supply has it at $1.79 a pound.
I did find it listed on a different homebrew shop's website for over $3 a pound. Needless to say I didn't bother making note of which one.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 11:36:46 am »
In the UK, Crisp has been taking the lead on resurrecting old barley varieties - there's now a reasonable amount of Chevallier being produced, and last year they produced 14t of Hana which has made some delicious commercial beers so I suspect they'll be doing more of it. I'm not sure how much made it into the homebrew supply chain, other than the tonne that went to the Malt Miller (no affiliation).

But it may be worth asking any retailers who deal with Crisp Stateside whether they can get their hands on any.
Hop Craft supply has it at $1.79 a pound.

Thanks, Steve!  I didn't know anyone had the Crisp Chevallier by the pound, I've only ordered it by the sack through LHBS.  I don't often make ales (not often enough to really justify a whole sack,)  but when I do make a bitter or mild, that's the malt I prefer.   This is great to know.

Hop Craft is local to me and the owners Mike and Brandon couldn't be any better to their customers and the homebrewing community in the area. I get all of my supplies from them. https://www.hopcraftsupply.com/
Good to know. I do want to get some at some point, it's just a matter of when I can work it into my budget.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 06:43:14 pm »
I could be wrong, but I thought I saw It packaged in BSG 10 lb sacks at my LHBS (I bought a full 55 a couple years ago from them).  The 10er was $17.99, I believe.  Check to see if your LHBS can order it for you.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 11:16:36 am »
I could be wrong, but I thought I saw It packaged in BSG 10 lb sacks at my LHBS (I bought a full 55 a couple years ago from them).  The 10er was $17.99, I believe.  Check to see if your LHBS can order it for you.
What's your  LHBS? The two closest to me are both over two hours away and I get most of my stuff online. The last place I lived that had a LHBS was over two years ago and I could have gotten a 55 lb bag, but that would have been way more than I would have wanted.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 02:06:12 pm »
What's your  LHBS? The two closest to me are both over two hours away and I get most of my stuff online. The last place I lived that had a LHBS was over two years ago and I could have gotten a 55 lb bag, but that would have been way more than I would have wanted.

It is a winery and cidery that also serves commercial beer - it used to be just a LHBS, but they remodeled and branched out.  I am friends with the owners and they are always on the lookout for unique malts or other ingredients that they know I would be willing to try.  I am lucky - it is about 20 minutes from my home.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"