Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Steam beer question  (Read 3855 times)

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
Re: Steam beer question
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 09:49:06 am »
Fermenting too high can account for the esters. I'm not used to lager yeast getting all solventy and phenolic on me, though. I wonder if you had some other kind of wild yeast in there.

Racking too soon isn't your problem. Yeast don't typically metabolize phenols; diacetyl and acetaldehyde, mostly, is what you'd get if you racked too soon.

I would look at sanitation, yeast health, and fermentation temperature first.  Did you have a long lag?

Also, I don't want to pick on you about this, but you seem to not understand the terminology of off-flavors too well. Take a look at the beer faults list from the BJCP web site to get a better idea of the terms. Or avoid using the specific brewing off-flavor terms and stick to the describing what you perceive using common terms.

Gordon, no worries, you are correct I am still learning how to pick up and describe off-flavors :-[

I used CH22 from How to Brew to try and describe with I was observing.
I don't get any green apple, butterscotch or vegetables.  Most of what I get on the aroma and flavor is what I can only describe as acetone or strange alcohol's which is described as solventlike...

The yeast was pitched  about 4pm on my brew day and fermentation was noticeable before I went to bed that night at 11:30 and was active when I went to work the next morning at 7:30.

I do not think it is a sanitation issue as I clean my carboys as soon as I rack off, clean using pbw, sanitize with starsan and cover the carboy opening with plastic wrap to store then pbw and starsan again on brew day...

I will critically look at my fermentation temperatures and getting the wort to the desired fermentation temp before pitching.  

I really appreciate the help from everyone on this as it has been a somewhat reoccurring theme.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline cosmo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 11:03:50 am »
Did you use a stir plate for that half gallon starter?  I get a harsh, dry flavor when I overpitch, especially if I use a stir plate.  Not sure if that is what you are experiencing.  It looks like your starter is the right size if you did not use a stir plate or continuous aeration.  Just a thought.

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 11:33:15 am »
Cosmo, no stir plate just hit with oxygen for a minute.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:38:32 am by saintsbrew »
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 11:37:37 am »
Even using a stirplate I wouldn't think a half gallon starter would be overpitching for this beer.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 11:40:34 am »
I really think the consensus is correct. I fermented and pitched the yeast at too high a temperature.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 11:48:14 am »
Mike,
You never did say, what temp did you pitch at?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 11:53:42 am »
The wort temp was 65F.  Again, too high   :-[
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR