Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Caffeine in a coffee stout  (Read 2047 times)

Offline MWY608

• 1st Kit
Caffeine in a coffee stout
« on: February 08, 2020, 06:09:22 pm »
I was wondering if there was a way to figure out how much caffeine would be in a homebrew if coarse ground dark roasted coffee was put into the secondary for a 12 days? 5 gal batch, think I used 3oz.

thanks,
mike

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Caffeine in a coffee stout
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 07:24:52 pm »
I was wondering if there was a way to figure out how much caffeine would be in a homebrew if coarse ground dark roasted coffee was put into the secondary for a 12 days? 5 gal batch, think I used 3oz.

thanks,
mike

I don't know how to exactly calculate the caffeine content in your beer. However, let's give it a whirl.

I would use 3oz of medium grind coffee for 10 cups (60 floz) of drip coffee. Assuming one 8oz cup has 120mg of caffeine then the 10cups of coffee would have approximately 900mg of caffeine. Now, from what I understand that caffeine dissolves into solution better in hot water than cold. Also, dark roasted coffee has less caffeine than light roasted coffee. And, coarse ground coffee won't give up as much caffeine either. So, the actual number may be less.

I understand some people are concerned with the amount of caffeine in beer that has had coffee added to it. If we take this a bit further 900mg of caffeine in 5gal of beer would yield approximately 17mg of caffeine per 12oz of beer. That is less caffeine than a cup of tea. Almost as small of an amount as a cup of decaf coffee (approx 7mg). Of course, this is all estimates based on calculations. I hope this helps.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 11:47:03 am »
I don't ever grind the beans. I just add them to the secondary as whole beans.  This minimizes caffeine extraction (I get very little, if any) but still get the full flavor from the coffee.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline MWY608

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 06:55:24 pm »
I figured it wouldn't be a lot of caffeine, but wanted to see what people thought.
might try not grinding the beans next time and see if I still get the coffee taste im looking for.

Thanks for the info.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 07:35:22 am »
I figured it wouldn't be a lot of caffeine, but wanted to see what people thought.
might try not grinding the beans next time and see if I still get the coffee taste im looking for.

Thanks for the info.
Be sure to taste the beer so you don't overdo the coffee.  I only go for about 3 days.  Five days was a bit much for me.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 10:55:02 am »
  Something to keep in mind, at least from my experience is that like hop aromas and flavors, the coffee will fade over time. Stout is a beer that frequently is kept longer than some others, so you need to decide whether you want it just right when the beer is fresh, or when it's 2 years old.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline JoanMCD

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 05:45:35 am »
Guys, how do you think does Guinness stout has caffeine? I know it hasn't, but my friend says that it has...As I know there are flavours that come from the beer that are coffee-like. I have read that the only ingredients in Guinness are Barley, Hops, Water and Yeast. Maybe I'm wrong? My friend convinces me that to make Guinness, I should definitely add the best decaf coffee for flavour and coffee taste. I would be grateful if you share your knowledge and help us solve this issue. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 02:14:51 am by JoanMCD »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 09:13:18 am »
Guys, how do you think does Guinness stout has caffeine? As I know it hasn't, but my friend says that it has...

It does not.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 09:17:14 am »
Guys, how do you think does Guinness stout has caffeine? As I know it hasn't, but my friend says that it has...

It does not.

The website says it has "naturally occurring caffeine" so I am assuming it does have some. Even decaf coffee has some caffeine in it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 09:37:07 am »

It does not.

The website says it has "naturally occurring caffeine" so I am assuming it does have some. Even decaf coffee has some caffeine in it.

I stand corrected.  Wonder what the source is?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 11:02:19 am »

It does not.

Do you have a link to the page on their site that states this? I don't see any mention of this on the pages I've viewed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 11:24:44 am »

It does not.

Do you have a link to the page on their site that states this? I don't see any mention of this on the pages I've viewed.

I did a search. I found that information it said "Contains natural coffee and coffee flavors. Caffeine occurrence it natural"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 11:46:13 am »

It does not.

I did a search. I found that information it said "Contains natural coffee and coffee flavors. Caffeine occurrence it natural"

Obviously, Guinness coffee stout does.  But I thought we were discussing the regular Guinness.  (reply #6) https://www.quora.com/Does-Guinness-have-caffeine

www.dennybrew.com

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 12:05:40 pm »

It does not.

Guinness stout (the regular stout) does not contain coffee, natural or otherwise.

Around 60 or so plants are known to produce caffeine, but barley and hops are not among them. It's nonetheless conceivable that trace amounts of caffeine might be found in barley and hops tissues. Any such caffeine would originate in other plants that might be growing, either intentionally or accidentally, alongside/within the barley and hops fields. When these plants die or drop leaves, the caffeine in their tissues would leach into the soil and could be uptaken by the barley or hops, resulting in "naturally occurring caffeine." I have no idea about the specific farming practices involved in growing barley or hops, so this is just conjecture. The point is, whatever is in the soil will also be found in the plants growing in the soil.

As a side note, caffeine is made by some plants that you might not expect: citrus plants, for instance, produce small amounts of caffeine in their flowers. It has been shown to improve the memories of the bee pollinators. None of it ends up in the fruit, though. And the common garden bush Camellia sinensis has long been known to produce it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 12:17:25 pm »

As a side note, caffeine is made by some plants that you might not expect: citrus plants, for instance, produce small amounts of caffeine in their flowers. It has been shown to improve the memories of the bee pollinators. None of it ends up in the fruit, though. And the common garden bush Camellia sinensis has long been known to produce it.
Camellia sinensis is the tea plant. I don't know if I'd call it a common garden bush (although I do have one myself).

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer