Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: comp entry advice  (Read 552 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
comp entry advice
« on: February 10, 2020, 11:29:03 am »
I have an American Strong Ale fermented with black cherries that I would like to enter. Should it simply go in as 29A Fruit Beer with American Strong ale as the base style? The cherry is present but not prominent.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: comp entry advice
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 11:55:25 am »
Yep.  American strong guidelines don't account for any cherry flavor at all.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 11:59:14 am »
If you struggle to taste the cherry at all, you should enter it as an American Strong.

Note: Since you used black cherries (a.k.a., sweet cherries), I imagine the cherry flavor would be very slight or even non-existent.  If you really want cherry flavor, you need to use tart cherries (e.g., Montmorency), and a lot of them.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 12:19:39 pm »
If you struggle to taste the cherry at all, you should enter it as an American Strong.

Note: Since you used black cherries (a.k.a., sweet cherries), I imagine the cherry flavor would be very slight or even non-existent.  If you really want cherry flavor, you need to use tart cherries (e.g., Montmorency), and a lot of them.

The cherry is definitely there. I fermented with 1/2 gallon of sweet black cherry juice that had a SG of 1.086.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale