Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation temp  (Read 1962 times)

Offline scubajman

• 1st Kit
Fermentation temp
« on: February 11, 2020, 10:34:06 am »
I recently brewed an Irish Red with Omega Irish Ale yeast. I pitched a 1L starter at 70 F, and put the fermenter in a dark closet with an ambient temp of 67 degrees. The fermentation after 12 hours was very active and I noticed the fermometer was at 76 degrees. I quickly moved the fermenter down to the basement overnight and it got down to about 65. So for about 24 hours it was at 76 degrees or so. Does anyone have experience with this and how this will affect the beer? I usually always ferment in the basement and have good fermentations. It just has been so cold down there, that I didn’t want the yeast to stall. Obviously a mistake. Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Fermentation temp
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 11:26:59 am »
In general, high temps at the beginning of fermentation will increase fuels and esters
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 11:41:35 am »
At this point, what’s done is done.

In the mean time, here’s some reading on the subject: http://scottjanish.com/esters-and-fusel-alcohols/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline scubajman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 01:42:12 pm »
Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. I’m aware of the potential formation of esters and fusels in relation to high fermentation temps. I am just curious if you guys have any experience with the first day of high temps then cooling down for the remainder of the fermentation and how that affects the suppressing of esters and fusels? Or if the damage was done in the first 24 hours:

Thanks again for your help!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 01:46:54 pm »
Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. I’m aware of the potential formation of esters and fusels in relation to high fermentation temps. I am just curious if you guys have any experience with the first day of high temps then cooling down for the remainder of the fermentation and how that affects the suppressing of esters and fusels? Or if the damage was done in the first 24 hours:

Thanks again for your help!

Yes.  IME, the damage was done in the first 24 hours.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline scubajman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 02:09:59 pm »
Thanks again, Denny. Next time I won’t be so foolish!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 02:35:34 pm »
Live and learn.  I wouldn't call it foolish.

You may not taste any bad effects from the higher temp or even smell them.  More than likely, you might learn why cheap beer in the 80's gave us such bad hangovers.  Not all fusels will make a beer noticeably taste bad but they can really kick up the headache after having a few.  You may be old enough to remember "Meister Bräu" from the '80s.  Their claim was that it tasted just like Budweiser and that was true but the next morning you basically wished you were dead from the hangover.  They hit the flavor but not much else. :-\

Like I started with, we learn by doing.  I've been at this going on 22 years and have been fighting fermentation issues since November.  My room the beers sit in has been getting too cold.  Other weeks it's been too hot.  Saisons gave every indication of being done, but after being in the keg for 3 months - massively over carbed.  An American Wheat that decided it wanted to be a paint sprayer.  If you can think of it happening, it feels like it has happened this Fall/Winter. 

You'll find the methods that work in your space.  Then when you think you have it all worked out, you'll have the Fall I just went through.  The last 3 or 4 beers have gone on without a hitch.  It's all part of the fun.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 02:45:27 pm »
It might not be bad at all.

If you read the article in the link, you’ll see Scott Janis actually preferred the beer he pitched hot from a split batch he tested. He said a benefit was more glycol production which improved mouthfeel. In fact, he liked it so much he did it five times.

You might be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline scubajman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 03:26:34 pm »
Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the insight. I’ll hope for the best and give it a taste in a couple days.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 05:10:49 pm »
You didn't say what yeast. I've had good luck with the Bells house strain, pitch at 68F, let run up to 70F.

Then there are the Saison yeasts, of even the Kveik strains.

My point is that you might be fine for one type of yeast, and have a dumper with other types. Let us know how it turns out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 06:43:43 pm »
For future reference, my basement is borderline too cold for some yeasts in the winter (55ish ambient), but a seedling mat under the fermenter and a blanket covering the fermenter gets me to 60 or so.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 06:54:15 pm »
You didn't say what yeast. I've had good luck with the Bells house strain, pitch at 68F, let run up to 70F.

My point is that you might be fine for one type of yeast, and have a dumper with other types. Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, but 76 at 12 hours would worry me.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 07:31:56 pm »

Yeah, but 76 at 12 hours would worry me.

For most yeasts, I agree.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 07:14:45 am »
An insulated and temperature controlled ferment chamber can eliminate worry, and it can be done on a shoestring budget.  A non-working chest freezer (or refrigerator) can be had at your local transfer station (dump) for free.  Placed in a cool environment and outfitted with an ITC-1000 temp controller (Amazon $20) and a 250 watt heater (Ace Hardware $15) and you're in business.  Keep a thermometer on the fermenter and the ITC set a few degrees lower controlling interior ambient temp.  After a few batches you will learn what temperature differential works best to control your ferment.  I've used this setup to ferment in an unheated garage, in the winter, in northern Minnesota.  Pony up for a working chest freezer and you could even ferment lagers in the summer.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline scubajman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 09:16:12 am »
I do have a chest freezer outfitted with a temp controller I can use for fermentation. Only problem is that I have turned it into a keezer, and the temp is too cold to ferment ales. I recently freed up another freezer, so that will now become my fermentation chamber. Thank you all again for your input. The yeast I used is the Omega Irish Ale yeast. I will keep you posted on it’s progress.