Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt Conditioning  (Read 3059 times)

TXFlyGuy

Malt Conditioning
« on: February 11, 2020, 07:33:12 pm »
This is new to me! Looks like a good idea, and we will do this on our next brew.

For a 10 lb grain bill (Czech Pils), how much water should we add...in ounces?

I'll spray the malt the night before and let it sit until the next morning.

How many of you do this?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Malt Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 07:48:18 pm »
I do it. I use a spray bottle, and go by feel. Run your hands through the grains, a few, or more, should stick to your hand. Tip - use RO or distilled water to avoid chlorophenols. One other benefit in addition to better layering, is less dust. My nose and eyes thank me the night after a brew day.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 08:36:03 pm »
I used to condition my malt with 3-4% water. ...but I recently quit. One less thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 06:08:07 am »
I have read about this technique, but I have never tried it.  Why?  Because it doesn’t make much sense to moisten grains before crushing.  It seems to me that grain will crush and break apart better when dry.  Whereas when moist, it seems to me like the grain would smash rather than break apart.  And, yes, it does seem like an extra step.  I’m not sold.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 06:39:36 am »
The goal in conitioning is to add just enough moisture to make the hulls pliable without softening the kernels inside.  This way the kernels will fracture as normal, but the hulls are resilient enough to resist shreadding and cutting.  Proper conditioning will allow enough time for the added moisture to be absorbed by the hulls before being ground.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 07:37:32 am »
The goal in conitioning is to add just enough moisture to make the hulls pliable without softening the kernels inside.  This way the kernels will fracture as normal, but the hulls are resilient enough to resist shreadding and cutting.  Proper conditioning will allow enough time for the added moisture to be absorbed by the hulls before being ground.

This sums it up nicely.

I first heard this from Jeff Renner. The guy who is the head brewer at Sierra Nevada Mills River recommended it also. Later Kai Tröster recommended it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 07:47:36 am »

This sums it up nicely.

I first heard this from Jeff Renner. The guy who is the head brewer at Sierra Nevada Mills River recommended it also. Later Kai Tröster recommended it.

Ok...that’s all I needed to hear. Count me in!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 08:15:43 am »

This sums it up nicely.

Ok...that’s all I needed to hear. Count me in!
The low oxygen guys also recommend it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 08:16:21 am »
I tried it and found no advantages.  See what you think.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 09:08:27 am »

It helps if you have a false bottom. Denny doesn't. See how it works on your system.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 09:13:51 am »

It helps if you have a false bottom. Denny doesn't. See how it works on your system.

No, my bottom is as real as it gets..... ;D

But you raise an interesting point.  So many of the "things you should do" are so dependent on your equipment and brewing process, yet many people seem to discount that and blindly follow recommendations.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:15:51 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 09:33:26 am »

No, my bottom is as real as it gets..... ;D

But you raise an interesting point.  So many of the "things you should do" are so dependent on your equipment and brewing process, yet many people seem to discount that and blindly follow recommendations.

"Find out what works for you on your system. "

I would add that malt conditioning does not make a difference with BIAB or a Mash Filter.

How long before we can buy a Homebrew sized hammer Mill and mash filter? If I see one on the floor at Nashville, I will say "told ya so".

Edited to add not to second sentence.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:45:24 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline BrewBama

Malt Conditioning
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 09:35:43 am »

+1. I also tried it for ~ a year.

The point of conditioning is to reduce the mill gap while retaining intact husk material. While certainly conditioning is easy enough to do, I found closing the gap caused problems on my system so wetting the grain really served no purpose except to add an additional process. I found that if I just run the motor slow, it won’t shred the husks and breaks the pieces nicely.

I abandoned the conditioning and adjusted my crush (mill gap) based on a No14 sieve: 70% in the screen/30% in the tray. I get very consistent mash efficiency, no stuck recirculating, and no channeling when applying this process to my system.

Like others say: try it and see what you think. It may provide you the advertised advantages when used on your system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:34:58 pm by BrewBama »

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 10:33:53 am »
I'm too uncoordinated.  I tried it and gummed up my mill.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 10:38:56 am »
  I always condition [unless I forget] and it seems to make a difference for me, but I do a lot of beers with significant percentages of non-barley. If you decide to try it, at all cost avoid over wetting, and do NOT let the grain set overnight before milling. As someone previously said, the object is to rehydrate the husk without affect the kernel, leaving it wet that long will almost certainly soften the kernel. I got mine a bit too wet once and wound up completely gumming up my mill, that was one mell of a hess and the mash efficiency on that batch was terrible.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!