Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Left over grain  (Read 1115 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Left over grain
« on: February 15, 2020, 07:20:00 am »
I have left over grain, specifically pale and wheat malt. Thinking about a 50/50 blend of each or whatever total. I have some harvested 34/70 that was collected in November, should be ok. Not sure on hops variety or IBU level just yet. No water profile either but was thinking yellow balanced.

Searching the BJCP page, I really didn't see options for a wheat/pale recipe. Pilsner malt seems to be the norm when using wheat as an ingredient. That leads me to question, 1) Does pale malt and wheat malt clash or compliment one another when used together?
                                2) Does anyone have experience using pale/wheat together and what are your opinions?
                                3) Are adjuncts such as corn, rice or oats advisable?

I'm entertaining putting this together as an experiment for s***s and giggles while I'm waiting for some yeast to arrive for next weekends Czech Pils brew day.

Thoughts? 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Left over grain
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 07:53:41 am »
Though I’ve not brewed one, I’ve seen recipes for American Wheat beer that has 50/50 Pale malt/Wheat with Amer hops and Amer Ale yeast.  I think the big difference will be taste due to the variety of barley used in Continental Pils vs Amer Pale.

Edit: taste difference: ...of course due to hops and yeast as well...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:39:04 am by BrewBama »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Left over grain
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 08:06:37 am »
Though I’ve not brewed one, I’ve seen recipes for American Wheat beer that has 50/50 Pale malt/Wheat with Amer hops and Amer Ale yeast.  I think the big difference will be taste due to the variety of barley used in Continental Pils vs Amer Pale.

I read BJCP style guidelines for American Wheat today and there was no mention of which co-grain to use. I realize it is subjective and at the end of the day probably doesn't make a big difference if it is pilsner or pale.
Thanks

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 08:53:58 am »
Oberon is used as an example in the guidelines. Here’s their recipe: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2239/2667/files/Oberon_All_Grain_Recipe_fdc9b993-c9f6-434f-a5e5-eb47005fd45f.pdf?155

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 11:51:54 am »
My American Wheat is 2:1 2-Row/White Wheat.  Tastes wonderful and is always on one of mp taps all year long.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 12:25:28 pm »
Oberon is used as an example in the guidelines. Here’s their recipe: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2239/2667/files/Oberon_All_Grain_Recipe_fdc9b993-c9f6-434f-a5e5-eb47005fd45f.pdf?155

Thanks for the link!

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 06:17:20 pm »
It's not going to be a problem. You ought to see the "recipe" for the mess I made back on Feb 2, cause it's a doozy! There's Bestmalz Red X, pilsner, Cologne, Vienna, flaked rye, American 2-row (natch), and about 7 SRM worth of crystal malt. I fermented the mess with Bells 2HA yeast and tapped it this evening. It's malty! lol

About once a year I throw all the leftover malt in a batch and brew it just to get rid of it. It's all in good fun, and the result has always been drinkable (if poorly defined ;-).

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 09:52:35 am »
  When I do that I call it beer stew, I don't expect to see that style on a BJCP list any time soon though.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 03:45:23 pm »
It's not going to be a problem. You ought to see the "recipe" for the mess I made back on Feb 2, cause it's a doozy! There's Bestmalz Red X, pilsner, Cologne, Vienna, flaked rye, American 2-row (natch), and about 7 SRM worth of crystal malt. I fermented the mess with Bells 2HA yeast and tapped it this evening. It's malty! lol

About once a year I throw all the leftover malt in a batch and brew it just to get rid of it. It's all in good fun, and the result has always been drinkable (if poorly defined ;-).

Charlie

Def in good fun! I had the day off and the wife is in Florida so what better way to spend Presidents Day but making beer!