Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt Conditioning  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: Malt Conditioning
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2020, 11:00:19 am »
  I would correct that to say you don't need as much rice hulls when conditioning, one of my favorite beers is only 41% malt barley, the remainder is rye and other huskless stuff, that beer gets a glucan rest AND hulls and still takes twice as long to lauter as most of my other beers.
   I haven't had a problem yet letting the grain set for a few minutes, unless I was overzealous with the water. I used to calculate how much water to use and measure carefully, at this point I just go by feel. I mill the night before brew day so over wetting the grain when conditioning is really not a good idea.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 05:09:43 pm »
I tried conditioning once and found such a difference that I haven’t stopped. I apply just enough water spray so that dust on my hand seems moist and give it maybe 15 minutes to hydrate. I use a mill with 2” rollers and mill as slowly as I can. Excellent flour and huge husks. Since I RIMS, getting good flow is very important and I do. My efficiency improved too.

There are plenty of ways to screw this up. Fast milling, under-hydrating, or small rollers can leave you with shredded husks. Over-hydrating can leave you with concrete on your rollers.

Pay attention, it works wonders when you do it right. It’s worthless if you do it wrong.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2020, 08:03:49 am »
I tried conditioning once and found such a difference that I haven’t stopped. I apply just enough water spray so that dust on my hand seems moist and give it maybe 15 minutes to hydrate. I use a mill with 2” rollers and mill as slowly as I can. Excellent flour and huge husks. Since I RIMS, getting good flow is very important and I do. My efficiency improved too.

There are plenty of ways to screw this up. Fast milling, under-hydrating, or small rollers can leave you with shredded husks. Over-hydrating can leave you with concrete on your rollers.

Pay attention, it works wonders when you do it right. It’s worthless if you do it wrong.

Again, it depends on your lauter system.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell