Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: torrified wheat vs wheat malt  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
torrified wheat vs wheat malt
« on: February 12, 2020, 12:49:22 pm »
  I'm wondering whether there is any good reason to continue to keep torrified wheat on hand when it costs a good bit more than wheat malt. I've never done a side by side comparison of 2 beers that were identical except that one use a sizeable % of Torrified Wheat and the other Wheat malt to find out exactly what the end result differences - if any - there are between the 2 grains. Has anyone else done a comparison? Is there anything to be gained by using gelatinized wheat instead of malted wheat, or is it just another way to achieve essentially the same end? Thanx.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: torrified wheat vs wheat malt
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 01:41:31 pm »
Wheat malt has the enzymes required to convert it's own starches where torrified wheat doesn't.

If you want to have a small addition between 5 – 10% to aid head retention, either is suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: torrified wheat vs wheat malt
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 05:31:56 pm »
Wheat malt tastes, well, malty.  Unmalted wheat has a much more neutral flavor, like other adjuncts.   Really there's no reason to use torrefied wheat as opposed to, say, flaked wheat.   Both are just unmalted, pre gelatinized wheat, but the price can be very different.  If you're using large amounts the flavor difference is important, and different styles favor one or the other.  German Weizen uses malted wheat, Belgian Wit uses unmalted.  If you just want a little for head retention, like BrewBama said, doesn't really matter.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.