Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bell's Select Centennial  (Read 1736 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Bell's Select Centennial
« on: February 12, 2020, 01:27:32 pm »
These are the hops that Bell's selects from the growers. They have been made available to homebrewrrs at the Bell's general store. I've bought at the store and pick some up at the Bell's booth at HomebrewCon.

The aroma is wow! Doing an all centennial PA today.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Bell's Select Centennial
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 01:31:28 pm »
2 Oz package.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 02:10:27 pm »
Cool!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 02:42:49 pm »
These are the hops that Bell's selects from the growers. They have been made available to homebrewrrs at the Bell's general store. I've bought at the store and pick some up at the Bell's booth at HomebrewCon.

The aroma is wow! Doing an all centennial PA today.

Edit - I do like Bell's beer but no affiliation. These Centennial hops are excellent. If you see some at the Bell's booth in Nashville grab some.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 06:37:04 am »
Jeff, do you know if these hops are always on their website or are they only available for a limited time? I have a bad habit of getting ahead of myself with ingredients and although I plan on making a two hearted inspired brew in a couple months I would hold off on buying the hops if I can.
Such a great beer. It became available here in cans a couple years ago. My first try was a bottle a friend brought back from the Midwest and it was horrible but I knew it had to be oxidation because so many here loved it. When I saw cans at the local packie I pounced on them and buy it regularly. It’s just plain  tasty.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 07:30:47 am »
Jeff, do you know if these hops are always on their website or are they only available for a limited time? I have a bad habit of getting ahead of myself with ingredients and although I plan on making a two hearted inspired brew in a couple months I would hold off on buying the hops if I can.
Such a great beer. It became available here in cans a couple years ago. My first try was a bottle a friend brought back from the Midwest and it was horrible but I knew it had to be oxidation because so many here loved it. When I saw cans at the local packie I pounced on them and buy it regularly. It’s just plain  tasty.

The ones I bought were in person at the General Store. We will swing by if driving through on I-94.

The couple of times that I looked online they were there, and are there now..

A key ingredient to making a Bell's beer is the house yeast. You can grow it up from bottles as the bottle condition. Imperial also has also been packaging that strain for the General Store. The ester profile of the house yeast really comes out if you pitch high 60s and let it run to low 70s.

https://store.bellsbeer.com/collections/yeast/products/imperial-yeast-a62-bells-house-yeast

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 07:35:12 am »

The ones I bought were in person at the General Store. We will swing by if driving through on I-94.

A key ingredient to making a Bell's beer is the house yeast. You can grow it up from bottles as the bottle condition. Imperial also has also been packaging that strain for the General Store. The ester profile of the house yeast really comes out if you pitch high 60s and let it run to low 70s.

https://store.bellsbeer.com/collections/yeast/products/imperial-yeast-a62-bells-house-yeast
Thanks, this is great info. I know a few people, including myself, that would appreciate having a two hearted inspired brew on tap this spring.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 08:03:38 am »

Thanks, this is great info. I know a few people, including myself, that would appreciate having a two hearted inspired brew on tap this spring.

The APA I did yesterday was insprired by two hearted. I dropped the OG to 1.055. I used light British Crystal malt to lighten the color. Pretty much the same otherwise.

I was told the recipe in Zymurgy was copied from the Brewery logs. Some adjustments were made for Homebrew efficiency and utilization.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 05:56:36 pm »
Zymurgy July 2011 has an interesting article along with the recipe.

There's also a number of "clone" recipes for other Bell's beers in Zymurgy Jul 2003.  For me, the porter recipe is a "house favorite" when I do a 90 minute boil.

Is that 2003 article by my good friend Mike Bardallis? I think it is.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 07:24:07 pm »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 12:12:10 pm »
The recipe is on their website: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2239/2667/files/Two_Hearted_All_Grain_Recipe_ef65c8aa-88bc-444e-a4f2-449991b94993.pdf?247

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ingredients are the same as the Zymurgy article, except they now have the Imperial Bell's yeast in the store. That happened bout a year and a half ago.

The water profile is also new. The k'zoo water is much like mine. On a brewery tour they pointed out that they do little in the way of water treatment. Gypsum is added to some beers. I don't brew with my water, but they are doing something right as I like their beers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline BrewBama

Bell's Select Centennial
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 09:37:55 pm »
... (saw the amber ale :) but not the porter  :( ).

Though not the recipe, they do provide the ingredients. Just mash at 152*F and ferment at 64*F.

PLACID PORTER ALL GRAIN INGREDIENT KIT

Estimated OG: 1.061
Estimated ABV: 5.6%
 Included in this kit -

6 pounds Maris Otter
2 pounds Briess Bondlander Munich malt
1 pound Chocolate Wheat malt
12 oz. Flaked Oats
12 oz. Briess Roasted Barley
8 oz. Briess Caramel 20L malt
8 oz. Lactose Sugar
1 oz. Cascade hops for 60 min.
5 oz. Priming Sugar

NOT Included but suggested yeast

Imperial Juice A38 Yeast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 09:44:58 pm by BrewBama »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 12:03:40 pm »
Zymurgy July 2011 has an interesting article along with the recipe.

There's also a number of "clone" recipes for other Bell's beers in Zymurgy Jul 2003.  For me, the porter recipe is a "house favorite" when I do a 90 minute boil.

Is that 2003 article by my good friend Mike Bardallis? I think it is.

The article is by Mike.

It's been a while since I've been to their general store - noticed they have a number of additional "select" hops as well as a number of "clone" recipes for their other beers (saw the amber ale :) but not the porter  :( ).

Mike has said those are approximate.

As for other varieties, they have those on the website. I did pick up some Select El Dorado hops, Haven't used those yet.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:37:19 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild