Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast starter using LME  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Yeast starter using LME
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 09:34:55 am »
Just save some leftover wort from your mash tun from a previous brew. We always steal a couple quarts from the end of the mash. No...it might not be Kosher, but it has always worked for a great starter. How long have we done this? Probably over 10 years. With extremely good results.

So I would assume that you would have to process in a pressure canner to avoid any potential infection?

Yeah, or freeze and boil when needed

The hot unhopped wort is saved in sterilized quart jars, sealed, and then stored in the fridge. Then boiled when needed to make a new starter. It works very well.

With that method, there is always a risk of botulism.  So far, so good works until it doesn't
That was my first thought exactly. Boiling is not enough to kill botulism, but pressure canning can get to a high enough temperature to do it.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Yeast starter using LME
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 04:11:01 pm »
Follow up;
 I made the yeast starter with 1 lb of pale LME. Let it ferment out, crashed and decanted on brew day. I ended up boiling the wort (see original post) because the 1lb package I purchased looked as if it was repackaged from a larger amount due to the clear tape around the lid and the generic label.

Anywhoo, I guess the only advantage was that there really was no mess to clean other than equipment. WTBS, I will use LME for all starters going forward.