Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry vs. Liquid  (Read 2791 times)

TXFlyGuy

Dry vs. Liquid
« on: February 13, 2020, 05:16:46 pm »
Have not used a dry yeast in years. But the reviews on the Saflager Bohemian dry lager yeast are all very positive.
Is there a huge difference in this vs. the Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast?

The Saflager looks to be foolproof.

But my results with Wyeast in the past have always been quite good.

What say you?

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Dry vs. Liquid
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 05:41:19 pm »
I like both! My favorite dry is W-34/70 for lagers. I have repitched it for 3 generations now without any effect on my recipe. As far as liquid, I tend to use White Labs more often than not.

What I like about dry is the fact that you don't have to build a starter. I don't rehydrate either. Oxygenate then sprinkle on top of the wort.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:43:15 pm by HopDen »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 06:39:11 pm »
Dry yeast is great these days.  I use it almost all the time.  On my last batch I used S-189, another great lager yeast.  I should try both side by side.  Maybe next time.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 06:52:56 pm »
Dry yeast is great these days.  I use it almost all the time.  On my last batch I used S-189, another great lager yeast.  I should try both side by side.  Maybe next time.

S-189 is my go to lager yeast. Love it!

I only use liquid for specialty beers which I don’t breed very often...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 07:11:12 pm »

I only use liquid for specialty beers which I don’t breed very often...

Good to know! There was a time when dry yeast was...not that great. I'll give it a try soon.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 07:22:15 pm »
I use dry yeast exclusively these days. I’ve had one too many DOA liquid yeast arrive in the mail. (I don’t have a local source for liquid yeast.) I have been very pleased with the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 09:46:32 am »
It's been about 2 years since I've used liquid yeast. The number of strains available in dry form and the quality makes them a great alternative to liquids. Shelf life, higher cell count, and tolerance to less than ideal shipping and storage conditions make them even more attractive.

In order to get a real comparison between 2 similar products you'd really need to do a side by side tasting of a batch that was split and pitched using one in each fermenter and subjected to the same treatment until served.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 10:29:07 am »
   I'm bottling a Chile Lager today that was brewed with 6th generation 34/70. That is as far as I have yet taken this yeast and it performed very well, 91% AA in 19 days at temps in the mid 50's. I have no doubt that it could be taken out a great many more generations, I just don't brew all that many beer requiring lager yeast, although I am considering trying some of my US-05 recipes with 34/70 at cellar temps just to see what happens.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 10:35:02 am »
FWIW: I’ve used 34/70 in the low 60(s) with great success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 11:04:53 am »
FWIW: I’ve used 34/70 in the low 60(s) with great success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is some good and interesting reading on the subject of temps, and the difference in taste.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/08/fermentation-temperature-pt-4-lager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 12:09:43 pm »
I have been mostly a dry yeast user for years, unless I can get exactly what I want from a liquid at the LHBS or a very special or unique batch. So I have used 34/70 a lot. I don't like to compare dry to their liquid examples because they are different. WYeast Bohemian is an incredible liquid lager yeast and 34/70 is a great dry Lager yeast. I do think 34/70 shares some of the same characteristics. My suggestion is to use 2 packs per 5-6 gals, rehydrate and pitch and ferment cold ~50*. There is debate on the need for oxygen, I personally feel re-hydration will do better for you than oxygen for a dry yeast. There are claims that neither is needed for dry yeast, but a little of both wont hurt either.

On  side note, I also really like S-189 and use that more for German styles. Oktoberfest, Helles, Bock especially. I have used Lellamand Diamond Lager but I need more experimentation with that one. I think it falls closer to something in between 34/70 and S-189.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:28:38 pm by PORTERHAUS »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 02:05:20 pm »
A note:  Fermentis nor Lallemand no longer recommend rehydrating. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 03:07:24 pm »

It's a good one. I don't have great temperature control right now and my fermenting area is varying between low 40s and low 50s. I've used 34/70 and S-189 to brew cool versions of "ales", including a mild that I brewed six days ago with the S-189.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 07:21:14 pm »
Picked up 4 packets of W34/70 today. Brewing Sunday...hoping the triple decoction Czech Pils does well with the 34/70. We will ferment per their recommendations, at 55 degrees F.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 07:38:00 pm »
A note:  Fermentis nor Lallemand no longer recommend rehydrating.

Was not aware of that, both websites have options for rehydration. What do they say about it?