Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Length of Diacetyl Rest  (Read 997 times)

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
Length of Diacetyl Rest
« on: January 31, 2020, 05:30:55 pm »
I started a diacetyl rest of WL838 when gravity was 0.008.  Is two days enough?  It’s too much of a pita to take another gravity reading.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Length of Diacetyl Rest
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 09:11:54 am »
Did you detect Diacetyl in the sample of beer?  If not, I’d proceed to packaging. If I did detect it, I’d continue the rest.

Having said that, I must not be sensitive to Diacetyl because I have never experienced it regardless of yeast used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 09:14:10 am by BrewBama »

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
Re: Length of Diacetyl Rest
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 05:17:37 pm »
I did not detect diacetyl. However, the first use of this yeast was on a Helles and I didn’t detect diacetyl on that beer, but did a forced diacetyl test which revealed it. I figured a rest wouldn’t hurt.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 07:38:51 am »
Two days is fine.
Dan Chisholm

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 05:31:29 am »
I let my D rest go until no activity in my blow off bucket. I use a thermowell and yes, it is a pita to take a gravity reading. I usually start my D rest on days 10 to 14. I realize I should be taking a reading, but I don't.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 07:27:23 am »
In 20 years of brewing lagers, we never did a diacetyl rest. Always fermenting quite cool, in the mid to upper 40's F.
The finished beers were always clean, with no off flavors noted, including diacetyl.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 08:31:51 am »
In 20 years of brewing lagers, we never did a diacetyl rest. Always fermenting quite cool, in the mid to upper 40's F.
The finished beers were always clean, with no off flavors noted, including diacetyl.

Yep.  I almost never need a d rest.  Pitch enough healthy yeast and give it time to work and a d rest is seldom needed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell