Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: S23 attenuation  (Read 3266 times)

TXFlyGuy

Re: S23 attenuation
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 06:44:13 am »
Despite that, I find the results using S23 and WY2001 are nowhere near the sme.  And keep in mi d what I said about attenuation listings.

Which do you find to attenuate more?  Which leads you to the better "maltiness" characteristic?

Those are pretty much due to the wort, not the yeast.

On what do you base your conclusion? Do these two yeasts not produce a similar beer? S-23 & WY2001? Different worts would produce different beers, so perhaps this is not a valid comparison?
Curious as we might try the S-23 in a Czech Pils.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 08:35:35 am »
Despite that, I find the results using S23 and WY2001 are nowhere near the sme.  And keep in mi d what I said about attenuation listings.

Which do you find to attenuate more?  Which leads you to the better "maltiness" characteristic?

On what do you base your conclusion? Do these two yeasts not produce a similar beer? S-23 & WY2001? Different worts would produce different beers, so perhaps this is not a valid comparison?

I have found S23 to be disgustingly fruity...so much so that I sent some to Palmer, who replied that the beer tested lime a passion fruit wine cooler.  Even a year of lagering didnt fix it.  But my comment was mainly in reference to attenuation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 08:58:51 am »

I have found S23 to be disgustingly fruity...so much so that I sent some to Palmer, who replied that the beer tested lime a passion fruit wine cooler.  Even a year of lagering didnt fix it.  But my comment was mainly in reference to attenuation.
I find that I can interpret Denny's typos pretty well lately.  "Tested lime" may mean "tasted like".
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 09:25:23 am »

I find that I can interpret Denny's typos pretty well lately.  "Tested lime" may mean "tasted like".

;D. All these years and I still can't type on a tablet!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 10:53:10 am »

;D. All these years and I still can't type on a tablet!

Don't worry, Denny.  You ain't alone!  :D  I have trouble with a laptop keyboard as well..
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified