Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I am back in Aikido!  (Read 5287 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
I am back in Aikido!
« on: August 25, 2010, 11:46:16 am »
So this is an amusing anecdote, I guess.

Finally got off my ass and got back into Aikido!  Returned to the dojo for Pentjak Silat and Aikido... structure's a bit different, and I took a beginner's class to polish my Ukemi and some other stuff.  Found out there's a dedicated weapons class on Mondays, so I may eschew a strict schedule for a two-days-a-week schedule and hit up the weapons class occasionally.

There's one person in the weapons class though (a lot of the ones that called for it decided not to show up ever), so perhaps I can convince Sensei to teach a few other arts... it's an Aikido class, but Sensei is also the Silat Guru and thus skilled with knives, bo, boken, jo, and escrima sticks.  There's also a Jujitsu class now.  Personally I would like a "Weapons" class that basically wanders around Aikido boken/jo, Bojutsu, Jojutsu, and knife defense (I'm not worried about "knife fighting" ... if you come at me with a knife I'll take it away and/or break your arm and/or proceed to punch the f*@% out of you; I'm less concerned with using a knife than not getting killed with one).

My life is finally complete eh?  Plus the gut goes away and turns into a brick wall, which I need; I got so freaking weak after I left, just carrying 5 bags of flour and a couple gallons of milk up three floors is almost impossible now, and I can't even get an 80 pound box up the steps to my apartment... barely get it out of my car, the mental concentration needed to lift that much is impossible to sustain for more than a few seconds.

Anyone else into non-competitive martial arts?  MMA isn't my goal (an Aikidoka in MMA would be ... interesting); mainly it's meditative for me.  The complex movements of Aikido give me a reenforcing focus on my body (which comes a little easier since I spend the 20 minutes before class in the back doing Kundalini meditation and Zazen... eh, everything I do reenforces everything else).  Really for combat and defense I want to do some Jojutsu...

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: I am back in Aikido!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 02:40:14 pm »
I train Ving Tsun kung fu in the Moy Yat lineage.  I don't care how strong I am, I don't care how big I am, or how intimidating I look.  I care about my training, training efficiently, training a martial art that IS efficient, and relying on forward energy and not strength.  How big and strong you are doesn't matter when someone smaller and weaker can move faster and more efficiently.
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 02:51:23 pm »
Wrestling in high school, boxing and tae-kwon do in my twenties and Tae Kwon Do alone up until about 2 or 3 years ago when I just couldn't find the time anymore. I still train on my own some, mostly just stretching and kicking/punching the bag. I'd love to take a martial arts class somewhere but I have less time now than ever before (and less money!)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:34:31 pm »
... if you come at me with a knife I'll take it away and/or break your arm and/or proceed to punch the f*@% out of you;

And don't forget that sweet slap to the kidneys, thereby rendering the victim incontinent, that you told us about a while back.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:49:54 am »
... just carrying 5 bags of flour and a couple gallons of milk up three floors is almost impossible now...

What are you - a baker?  Who need 5 bags of flour?
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:39:56 am »
Wrestling in high school, boxing and tae-kwon do in my twenties and Tae Kwon Do alone up until about 2 or 3 years ago when I just couldn't find the time anymore. I still train on my own some, mostly just stretching and kicking/punching the bag. I'd love to take a martial arts class somewhere but I have less time now than ever before (and less money!)
Funny how opening a brewery will do that to you! ;)
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 06:56:36 am »
What are you - a baker?  Who need 5 bags of flour?

I bake my own bread.  I go through a lot of flour.  Freeze the stuff and I bake 2 loaves a week really.

Wrestling in high school, boxing and tae-kwon do in my twenties and Tae Kwon Do alone up until about 2 or 3 years ago when I just couldn't find the time anymore.

Wrestling and Boxing are not my thing, but they're great martial arts.  Cool moves are cool and all, but if I'm up against a boxer I have to pull it off the first time or I'm gonna be too unconscious to try again.  Most people cannot grapple with a wrestler, either.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:58:38 am by bluefoxicy »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 06:59:08 am »

especially the money part!

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:36:46 am »

especially the money part!
Except now, everything related to brewing is tax deductable.  That is assuming you are making a profit.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 08:15:53 am »
What are you - a baker?  Who need 5 bags of flour?

I bake my own bread.  I go through a lot of flour.  Freeze the stuff and I bake 2 loaves a week really.

Yeah, I make my own bread too, but 5 bags  ???
The average bread recipe calls for between 3 to 5 cups flour - we'll average it out to 4 cups.  Google tells me 4 cups of flour is roughly 1 pound, so your 5 bags of flour is enough for 25 loaves of bread.  At 2 loaves/week, you've got enough flour for 3 months worth of bread.

Maybe you just need to go grocery shopping a little more often  ::)
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 09:35:17 am »
What are you - a baker?  Who need 5 bags of flour?

I bake my own bread.  I go through a lot of flour.  Freeze the stuff and I bake 2 loaves a week really.

Wrestling in high school, boxing and tae-kwon do in my twenties and Tae Kwon Do alone up until about 2 or 3 years ago when I just couldn't find the time anymore.

Wrestling and Boxing are not my thing, but they're great martial arts.  Cool moves are cool and all, but if I'm up against a boxer I have to pull it off the first time or I'm gonna be too unconscious to try again.  Most people cannot grapple with a wrestler, either.

That's because you don't need to grapple to be effective.  Guys rolling around on the floor is SO cool..........
Jesse

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 10:22:55 am »
I'd love to see a nice roundhouse right coming my way ;)
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 10:39:30 am »
Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris in action. 

Thes guys are some bad boys!

Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 11:26:53 am »
This thread is like a treasure trove of possible Napoleon Dynamite quotes!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 12:09:04 pm »
I LOVE BFI threads. I actually look forward to them, everyday!!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.