Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I am back in Aikido!  (Read 5279 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: I am back in Aikido!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 12:15:40 pm »
I like turtles....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 12:48:11 pm »
and you like green radioactive slime too,  right?
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 01:41:51 pm »
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 03:42:15 pm »
 Guys rolling around on the floor is SO cool..........

Meh, whatever. I was a decent wrestler in highschool and I am proud of that. And I really don't care if anyone has respect for that or not. I can tell you this, a lot of people make jokes about wrestlers "rolling around on the floor with other guys", but I can assure you one thing - no one is thinking about sex when they are in the middle of a wrestling match. Mostly you are just thinking "damn this hurts!' Now, if you are thinking about sex while watching two wrestlers that's your bag, dude.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:44:04 pm by majorvices »

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 04:26:45 pm »

Meh, whatever. I was a decent wrestler in highschool and I am proud of that. And I really don't care if anyone has respect for that or not. I can tell you this, a lot of people make jokes about wrestlers "rolling around on the floor with other guys", but I can assure you one thing - no one is thinking about sex when they are in the middle of a wrestling match. Mostly you are just thinking "damn this hurts!' Now, if you are thinking about sex while watching two wrestlers that's your bag, dude.  ;)

A friend of mine in HS was involved in two things: Wrestling and Theater. Now, I like to think I've matured some since then, but at the time it definitely seemed a little dodgy.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 06:23:24 am »
Wishful thinking, maybe?  :P j/k
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:27:12 am by majorvices »

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 07:50:41 am »
Wishful thinking, maybe?  :P j/k

Well, I did get into BJJ a while back. I'll have to consult Dr. Freud about that one.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 11:25:17 am »

haha, touche.  Obviously I'm biased because I train Ving Tsun.  
Jesse

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 07:35:01 am »
I don't care how strong I am, I don't care how big I am, or how intimidating I look.  I care about my training, training efficiently, training a martial art that IS efficient, and relying on forward energy and not strength.  How big and strong you are doesn't matter when someone smaller and weaker can move faster and more efficiently.

This is an important point.  That is why when Guru asked if we should do knife attack or knife defense training last night I opted immediately for knife defense.  Knife attack is useful too, but not as much; if I don't have a knife, I have to get one first, which I can achieve by taking yours away, yes?

I feel like I got stabbed.  Guru is rather brutal with the ab strength training.  He even taught us how to block, trap, and disarm a knife using our abs (this involves a significant amount of blood and should be taken as a last resort).

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 07:49:25 am »
I can tell you this, a lot of people make jokes about wrestlers

but they don't usually make those jokes in front of wrestlers. 8)
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:18 am »
I can tell you this, a lot of people make jokes about wrestlers

but they don't usually make those jokes in front of wrestlers. 8)

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 09:46:13 am »
Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 10:16:22 am »
...I'm not worried about "knife fighting" ... if you come at me with a knife I'll take it away and/or break your arm and/or proceed to punch the f*@% out of you...

You'll have to break my arm with one hand. The other will be occupied trying to stop the blood from leaking out of that bullet hole. I'm too old to fight anymore.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 10:51:44 am »
I don't care how strong I am, I don't care how big I am, or how intimidating I look.  I care about my training, training efficiently, training a martial art that IS efficient, and relying on forward energy and not strength.  How big and strong you are doesn't matter when someone smaller and weaker can move faster and more efficiently.

This is an important point.  That is why when Guru asked if we should do knife attack or knife defense training last night I opted immediately for knife defense.  Knife attack is useful too, but not as much; if I don't have a knife, I have to get one first, which I can achieve by taking yours away, yes?

I feel like I got stabbed.  Guru is rather brutal with the ab strength training.  He even taught us how to block, trap, and disarm a knife using our abs (this involves a significant amount of blood and should be taken as a last resort).

Interesting.  My Sifu says that if someone has a knife, expect them to use it.  But first, give them all you have before you try to hurt them (possibly killing them).  And expect to get stabbed, but the idea is to make sure that if you do it stabbed, it's better that it's in your arm and not your vital areas.  Ving Tsun is all about protecting the Center Line, where everything vital is located. 
I think that anyone who trains hard in their martial art and has trained hard for a long period of time is a very dangerous person.  It's not a matter of what's better than another martial art.  That being said, I still think UFC is bunk.
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 10:59:17 am »
...I'm not worried about "knife fighting" ... if you come at me with a knife I'll take it away and/or break your arm and/or proceed to punch the f*@% out of you...

You'll have to break my arm with one hand. The other will be occupied trying to stop the blood from leaking out of that bullet hole. I'm too old to fight anymore.

Thankfully for me I have not found a situation I could not talk my way out of in a long, long time. The last thing I want to do is get into a fight. My face looks really good just the way it is without another broken nose and I'm way too pretty to end up in prison.

That being said, I still think UFC is bunk.

I still like boxing even though it is a dying sport. I just don't like UFC/MMA. Boxing is a sport. UFC is just beating the crap out of each other. I do not find it enjoyable to watch some dude on top of another dude punching his face in. When I see this my instaict says "hey, someone needs to pull that guy off that other dude." Sick sh!t IHMO.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:06:39 am by majorvices »