Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenting in a keg and then keg to keg transfer  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Philip McCaugherty

• Cellarman
Fermenting in a keg and then keg to keg transfer
« on: February 21, 2020, 08:43:12 am »
Hi all.

Some advice / knowledge, please.

I am thinking about buying another couple of kegs and using them to ferment in and then do a closed transfer to a serving keg. Whilst I have no doubt this will be better for the beer, I am wondering if it will make a noticeable difference. I have noticed the hop aroma fading quite quickly on my last two brews (IPA and a pale ale). Would a closed transfer help keep the aroma for longer?

Also, how tricky is it to do? I have watched a few different videos and they are all a little different. One of them suggests that if you want to brew 19L, you need to use two kegs to ferment by splitting the batch. Is this totally necessary? I am also concerned about trub. Will it, along with hop debris, flow easily through the dip tube and liquid out post? In the past, I have had dip tubes get clogged up with hop debris and it has been a right pain in the arse to fix it. I find it hard to imagine a load of trub going through the tube with no issues.

Overall, I guess I am trying to weigh up the cost of new kegs plus a few extra bits of kit (tubing, disconnects etc.) against the overall outcome and quality of the beer. My plastic bucket FV’s have served me well for almost a decade and I did watch a video of a closed transfer from a plastic bucket FV to a corny so I know it can be done that way.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks in advance
Someone once told me that making my own beer was a great way to save money. What a load of shyte that was!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Fermenting in a keg and then keg to keg transfer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 11:44:26 am »
Yes, closed transfers make a huge difference to IPAs and really extend the life of most beers. You certainly don't need to use a corny as a FV to do so.  I ferment in a carboy then do a mostly closed transfer to a corny keg. [Rather than pushing the beer with pressure, I start a siphon, connect to the "liquid out" post and allow the siphoned beer to push the CO2 in the purged keg into the carboy through the "gas in" post.] A 5-gal corny is not big enough for a 19L fermentation (19 L =5.02 US gal).  If you do ferment in a corny, you will want to shorten the dip tube to leave as much sediment as possible. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fermenting in a keg and then keg to keg transfer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 02:31:27 pm »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"