Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Headspace in kegs  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Headspace in kegs
« on: February 18, 2020, 09:50:28 am »
If you put exactly 5 gallons of beer in a corny keg, is there any headspace or would that amount of beer fill it completely?
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Headspace in kegs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 10:00:41 am »
If you put exactly 5 gallons of beer in a corny keg, is there any headspace or would that amount of beer fill it completely?

My cornies seem to be 5.25ish gal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 11:08:05 am »
5 gallons will leave 2-3 inches of headspace.  Enough to install the lid with ease.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 03:57:10 pm »
I never really thought to find out. I keg using a closed transfer and when I see beer coming-out of the gas port i shut it down. Is head space really important? Most but not all of my beers are already carbonated from brite tank (conical) to keg.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 04:35:45 pm »
I never really thought to find out. I keg using a closed transfer and when I see beer coming-out of the gas port i shut it down. Is head space really important? Most but not all of my beers are already carbonated from brite tank (conical) to keg.

I do the same thing. After it’s full, I attach a tap and run off a pint or so until I quit hearing bubbling from the CO2 pushing it out to get some headspace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 09:13:06 am »
Thanks to all of you.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 03:32:47 pm »

For whatever reason, I was thinking about this today and I'm not trying to split hairs but, how are you ensuring that you are in fact putting exactly 5 gallons into your keg? Do you weigh it as you are filling? Does different FG affect the weight thereby needing a way to ensure volume to the 5 gallon mark? Have you pre filled your kegs and checked to see how much water they will hold with & w/o head space? Also, what benefit, if any does head space give us? Canned beer has zero head space (assumption), bottled beer has head space...Why?